This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online Accounts

I was trying to get online accounts running and I got an error that was to the the effect that the particular app hasn't been verified for security reasons. Now, I tried the same steps that I used when I was using Pop OS. The write ups that I got from my searches as it relates to Kubuntu all seem to intimate the same methodology.

Now, one article was from 2018 (and that was the latest), is there another/different process that I need to be doing or is this something that is going on at the development level with regard to approval for security reasons or has this functionality been deprecated?
    Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Google have deliberately broken access for KDE online accounts.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=415089

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=414219
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

GDrive access from the KDE desktop

I first noticed this a couple of months ago. I did have my GDrive ("MyDrive") set up so that Dolphin would show its contents and allow me to drag and drop to and from the drive. Then it quit.

I just now deleted my current setting and added a new one, clicking on the Google icon. I entered my gmail address and a text msg was sent to my smartphone asking me to click the "yes" button, followed by choosing one of three numbers displayed on the smartphone which is also displayed on my laptop GDrive configuration screen. It accepted my selection but almost immediately displayed the following message:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	google_acct_disabled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	644475
      So, I opened my Chromium browser and clicked on the gmail icon next to my photo. Gmail opened up and along the right margin was the option to open several apps. I chose the GDrive and my "MyDrive" was opened, allowing me to add or remove files. I don't run any other OS so I don't know if the local connections to GDrive are broken on Windows and/or Mac. IF they are, the Google wants to force us to use Chromium to add or remove files from our GDrive. However, IF they are honest, and that seems to be a BIG IF, then this is indeed temporary. Two months, however, is beginning to look more like permanent, not temporary.

I used to use MEGA as my free cloud account, and my Bionic desktop, and my iPhone and my Android phone ALL interfaced with it automatically. I could drag & drop files to my local MEGA directory and they would automatically be added or removed from the cloud account. Since my Internet connection is fiber optic at 300mbps it was a fast process. I may return to using MEGA if Google's "temporary" becomes permanent.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Dec 29, 2019, 03:42 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, it seems like in Kubuntu 20.04 Beta, I am able to sign in fine (so it looks like the devs started work on adjusting for the new API), but it didn't really do anything as far as the network folder, just asks me to sign in for an account. I don't know if I should attribute this to it's being beta and just not quite ready for prime time in that way and they are well aware of it or if it genuinely is something that is a bug.

I noticed that they only had 2 online accounts this time, when I think it was 3 or 4 in the earlier versions, so there is working being done on those. For better or worse, I use GDrive because that's what my customers expect work to be shared through for the larger files. Hopefully it will get settled when stable is released.

Comment

I'm running 20.04 also. When I try to add my Goggle account I get a sign on, I enter my phone number, it gives me the access code and I select it. Then the dialog displays my photo and email and tells me to click on it to activate KDE Connect. Clicking on it does nothing. Close the dialog ("X") eliminates everything and no account is connected.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I didn't get any access code, but then I don't sign in via phone. Although I don't know if that is the reason or not, only difference that I can think of.

I didn't get the message about KDE Connect, but mine is already connected even before I started.

Only downside is that the attached is the only evidence that I have that I signed in, at least within the OS. I get my Google notification via email wanting to make sure that it was me.
            Attached Files

Comment

Ok, I've been looking to see about any alternatives. Looking seriously at rclone, anyone have any alternative favorites, rclone good, bad?

I would prefer to have something more or less baked in from the project, but it doesn't it doesn't seem to be there after the API change. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
              X