Virtual Machine Display Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual Machine Display Problems

I'm currently using Kubuntu 19.10, which is working fine (Plasma 5.17.4) so far except for one irritating little problem. I like to follow the development of the next Kubuntu releases, so I have installed QEMU VMM and, just in case, the latest Virtual Box. I have installed Focal Fossa on both of them, but I can't get the display to configure correctly. On VMM, it's stuck at 1024 x 768, while on Virtual Box, it's worse: 800 x 600! When I try to change the settings to 1366 x 768, my current monitor, it switches briefly to that then goes back to the previous setting. I also have Archman installed on VMM, and that switched fine and works without problems. Any ideas on what could be the issue here? Is it fixable? I did not have this problem when using 18.04.

You need to install the VBoxGuestAdditions in your Virtual Box VM. I don't know about QEMU VMM.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 14, 2019, 01:17 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This is somewhat common on pre-release *buntus in VMs. The kernels and xorg are far from locked down at this stage, and sometimes/often the Virtualbox Guest Additions (ie the good video drivers used inside the VM) do not build on those kernels, espoecially if Virtualbox has not yet added support for the next *buntu release.

I have no ideas about QEMU, but for Virtualbox, if you have not done so already, make sure you have the latest version from their website, as well as the matching Guest Additions.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        The kernels and xorg are far from locked down at this stage, and sometimes/often the Virtualbox Guest Additions (ie the good video drivers used inside the VM) do not build on those kernels, espoecially if Virtualbox has not yet added support for the next *buntu release.

I have no ideas about QEMU, but for Virtualbox, if you have not done so already, make sure you have the latest version from their website, as well as the matching Guest Additions.
        I have had zero success with getting Guest Additions to load, I have tried to get them to download from within VB and it always fails at 98%, network error and I have guest additions manually download from the site and installed into VB. I know the installation took, because of the Windows VMs that I have. However, the VM of linux that I use for Electron work, not able to get the Guest Additions in there.

I wouldn't be surprised if it does have something to do kernel and building, I know that when I first installed Kubuntu 19.10, I was getting all kinds of errors with getting VB from the repos, due to it not having been built for the kernel that was being used. If I recall the message that I got correctly. That was fixed a couple of days later though. I, however, wouldn't be surprised if there was some lingering issue related to that. I'm speculating, but I wouldn't be surprised.
        Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

I have not had that issue with my Oracle VirtualBox installation of 19.10. After installing 19.10, I quit to return to the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager. I add the VBoxGuestAdditions .iso to Storage > IDE Secondary Master and restart the VM. Once on the Desktop I launch Dolphin, click on the VBox_GAs_[version_number] under Removable Devices, click on Open Terminal and run: sudo sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run. Installs just fine.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This is interesting. I went here:

Code:
            /usr/share/virtualbox
            and I can't find the iso there. Has that location changed in the 6.x series?

It says that it can't find the Guest Additions iso using the insert option in the Devices menu. Yet, VB has to see something as before I loaded it up there, it wouldn't allow me to use USB2 (I had guest additions already installed on the VM, I was doing a fresh install of the host), but yet after going to oracle's site, clicking to open in VB and it installing like normal.

Really strange.

It used to be, go to oracles site, click the download like, choose open in VB option, insert password and once it was done installing, good to go.
            Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

I assume that if I have the same problem on both Oracle and QEMU, the problem is somewhere else. Am I assuming correctly? It seems to be a problem associated with 19.10, although I'm guessing.

Comment

I have installed the latest Virtualbox with the extension pack (is that what is meant by guest additions?). Everything seems to have installed correctly, but when I get the same results when I try to change the display settings. I guess, as Claydoh suggests, the problem is in Focal Fossa. Funny, I never had that issue before.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                  I have installed the latest Virtualbox with the extension pack (is that what is meant by guest additions?). Everything seems to have installed correctly, but when I get the same results when I try to change the display settings. I guess, as Claydoh suggests, the problem is in Focal Fossa. Funny, I never had that issue before.
                  The Extension pack and Guest Additions are two separate packages.
                  If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Working...
                  X