This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox does it again

Obviously THEY KNOW it makes their users upset and have known for several years since they took away the switch that allowed you to put TABS ON BOTTOM.
    Seems like they force the tabs on top just to PO us that care.

So they updated again and of course they messed with the code just enough to make us have to mess with the code back.

One of the good things about using KUBUNTU is that they mess with the Windoz version of FF first and those users invent the fix code so by they time they mess with us, the fix is already out there.
    So here is the new code to modify your chrome file to get the tabs back on the bottom...

#TabsToolbar {
    display: block !important;
    position: absolute !important;
    bottom: 0 !important;
    width: 100vw !important;
    }
    Greg
    W9WD

Thanks for the input. I like FF, but I also like having tabs on top - eh, just my preference. I appreciate the preferences of others, though
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Yep it's all about choice for me.
      If you want them on top that's fine, or on the bottom, also fine. It used to be so easy. Just flip the switch.
      Now apparently they don't want you to have a choice.
      Sounds communist to me.
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

Hi GregM,

Sorry to have to inform you, but Firefox is spyware.

Fire up Tcpview and you'll notice a persistent connection to AmazonAWS servers. This is related to the recommendations you'll notice in the extensions panel as well as the other configuration panels.

You see, Mozilla have sold access to Jeff Bezos to slurp all of your browser information, such as, what add-ons you have installed as well as your browser history, and your about:support page too.

Also, the internal updater uses AmazonAWS now as well, it won't work if you block all AmazonAWS ip addresses (like I do).

Have a nice day

Comment

How does "Tabs on Bottom" figure in to this?
          Greg
          W9WD

Comment

Its not Communism. Removing an option from a software program is not Communism. The government being the sole owner of the means of production is Communism. You could make the argument that the government restricting the freedoms of its citizens is Communism, but that kind of falls through when you realize that there are a lot of other ideologies that also restrict the freedoms of citizens. But it is certain that a privately owned company removing a feature from a web browser is not Communism.

Looks like you can get the same behavior with a custom stylesheet.
            https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1249516
            https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-below-url-bar

Comment

Taking a useful custom option that users had easy access to and making it more difficult to exercise, is not Communism, it's just plain stupid business. And now that Mozilla is not supporting FF as fully as they used to, it's not easy finding someone to whom one can complain. FF is now mostly community supported. But, maybe someone in the FF community will listen.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                Taking a useful custom option that users had easy access to and making it more difficult to exercise, is not Communism, it's just plain stupid business.
                Is it though? From what I read, the option lead to duplicated code that had to be maintained. This can quickly become horrible and costly to deal with. So maybe they made the decision to cut the option simply because it was seldom used and caused issues in the codebase? Our company has certainly cut options/features for that exact reason and they turned out to be good decisions for the business in the end. A development team either has to live with these kinds of issues (costly to do in the long run), refactor code to eliminate/minimize the issues (costly to do in the short run), or simply delete the offending code (usually not so costly, but risk of loosing users). For options that arent used by many people and where there is little risk of loosing money, the third option is usually the best for the business.

Comment

"So maybe they made the decision to cut the option simply because it was seldom used..."

Well if they had have paid any attention at all for the last few years (every time they did an "upgrade") they would have found out how much it is used.
                  Greg
                  W9WD

Comment

And again in firefox 72. The tabs are laid on top of the bookmarks toolbar, or the navigation bar if there's no bookmarks toolbar.

Following a reddit post, I changed my ~/.mozilla/firefox/random-profile-name.default/chrome/userChrome.css to comment out the first line, the @namespace one. I'd have thought that would cause problems, but none so far.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                      "So maybe they made the decision to cut the option simply because it was seldom used..."

Well if they had have paid any attention at all for the last few years (every time they did an "upgrade") they would have found out how much it is used.
                      Have you ever looked up the bug report and learned why this decision was made and took two years to implement?

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=755593

How many users are using userChrome.css to change the tab position?

Be prepared. Firefox 73 release date is 02/11. You do know they release a new version every 4 to 5 weeks now.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnTheBike View Post
                        Hi GregM,

Sorry to have to inform you, but Firefox is spyware.

Fire up Tcpview and you'll notice a persistent connection to AmazonAWS servers. This is related to the recommendations you'll notice in the extensions panel as well as the other configuration panels.

You see, Mozilla have sold access to Jeff Bezos to slurp all of your browser information, such as, what add-ons you have installed as well as your browser history, and your about:support page too.

Also, the internal updater uses AmazonAWS now as well, it won't work if you block all AmazonAWS ip addresses (like I do).

Have a nice day
                        This is exactly why I left Chrome for FireFox. What browser do you use?

Comment

Actually, AFAIK, a lot of enterprises, Netflix included, use Amazon AWS as CDN (content delivery network). It speeds up... content delivery.
                          AWS has data centers distributed globally.
                          Netflix - as an example - has to deliver a lot of content globally. So do a lot of other people.
                          It makes sense to use AWS do do it.

So it's kind of hard to tell what the AWS connections actually are.
                          Which is probably not a good thing security-wise - mainly in the sense that it limits packet sniffers' usefulness (although some can read metadata and give hints on the real source) - but it can be a good thing speed-wise.

I don't get any recommendation in Firefox... but then I don't use any panels...
                          In any case, lots of connections to AWS servers most likely don't have anything to do with Firefox, but on whoever delivers your content through them.

And... an open-source browser that purports to be "privacy-oriented"... how long would it take for it to be widely exposed as "spyware" amid widespread hue, cry, and laughs?

Comment

This is a little belated, but I used this fix to correct the v72 tab problems, and it works:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1248277

Now, as for my gripe, it seems like Firefox, and literally every other browser on the market, bar none, save only for Waterfox Classic anymore, has not only removed the ability to do dual sidebars, they're actually going out of their way to make it impossible to do. Not just pulled support, but rather, actively blocking all attempts to reimplement it. I still have not figured out why. I mean, to be that hell bent on stopping people from having such a useful feature as dual sidebars, there's gotta be a logical explanation such as security. But, so far, I have yet to find ANYONE who will tell me why the feature must forever be banned and never allowed to rear its ugly head (their words, not mine, as I really love and need that feature) ever again for the rest of eternity. Now, again, if banning dual sidebars, and to some extent making tab tree sidebars usable, is a security risk or a bad thing, that'd be one thing. But to have the devs of literally every browser out there, save one, provide you with a collective middle finger and a gigantic "We absolutely WILL NOT, not now, not ever, re-implement that feature, and you can go to hell if you ever think it'll happen", makes you wonder what the big beef is against double sidebars. TBH, it makes zero sense to me. But anyhow, that's my little rant. The tab tree thing too, but more the double sidebars as I can live with the tab tree issues for now.

Comment

Working...
                            X