KWrite's toolbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] KWrite's toolbar

I used to have KWrite's toolbar laid out exactly in the order I wanted it. Now, it doesn't seem possible, unless I'm not seeing something...and you know, that's very likely!

Here's how it looks right now, after as much tweaking as I could do:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_KWrite_toolbar_121019_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	649559

And here are its two toolbar settings:

Name:	tmp_KWrite_toolbar_121019_2.jpg
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	649560

Name:	tmp_KWrite_toolbar_121019_3.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	649561

Given how the entries are presented in the settings, how can I, for example, move cut/copy/paste over to the left of undo? I KNOW! I know it looks like that's how it should appear, but what you see in the toolbar above is exactly how the two sets of settings are configured.

What am I missing?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Hi
    well, I'm not on my Kubu computer but maybe drag the order vertically in the right panel, then apply, ok, it may need a restart.
    Or if you cannot drag vertically maybe click defaults to see if they are removed and then apply them in the order which you want going down?
    just a thought
    woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

When configuring the Toolbars, in order to ENSURE that the items are in the order THEY WAY YOU WANT, first delete the items from the right pane. Then, in the order you want, add each one back, clicking the Apply button after moving the desired item from the left to the right pane. I tested this using the items and order you want (from your screen images) and it worked perfectly.

Name:	KWriteToolbarConfiguration.jpg
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	644457
      Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 11, 2019, 03:43 PM.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It may depend on the toolbar selected (there are two different ones in the drop down, one specific to Kwrite, and the other specific to the core text editor component shared with other editors), so without looking, you may have to remove some from one bar and add it on the other one.

Comment

I thought I was very clear, what with showing both of its toolbars' settings and everything. The way they're shown is NOT the way the toolbar looks. In the second settings shot, you'll note that cut/copy/paste are ABOVE undo, which means they should appear to the left of undo in the toolbar. But look at the toolbar!

Snowhog, in your pic cut/copy/paste are on the RIGHT-hand side of the toolbar; I want them on the LEFT, to the left of undo in my first pic.

Woodster, you can't move them like you're saying--that's what the directional arrows are for. And I've already placed them in the order I want--but when you look at the toolbar, they're not there! Not in the order I want.

Claydoh, you only have the choices you're given for each of the two toolbars; their partial lists are shown in the screenshots; I didn't bother posting the entire list, but I definitely checked for the items I want. So, for example, cut/copy/paste only appear in ONE of the toolbars' settings, not BOTH, so I can't remove them from one and put them in the other.

PS I know I sound like a grumpy bitch right now, and I'm sorry. I'm having a bad day so please don't take it personally. You know I love you guys.
          Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Dec 11, 2019, 04:31 PM.
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
            I thought I was very clear, what with showing both of its toolbars' settings and everything. The way they're shown is NOT the way the toolbar looks. In the second settings shot, you'll note that cut/copy/paste are ABOVE undo, which means they should appear to the left of undo in the toolbar. But look at the toolbar!

Snowhog, in your pic cut/copy/paste are on the RIGHT-hand side of the toolbar; I want them on the LEFT, to the left of undo in my first pic.
            In my screen shot, they (Cut/Copy/Paste) are to the left of Undo. However, where you have Undo/Redo (to the right of Close), I can't fathom how you did that, as Undo and Redo aren't items available in "Main Toolbar <kwrite>". Bottom line is you can't place items from <kwrite> into <KatePartView> or vise versa, at least not from Settings > Configure Toolbars...

So how did you accomplish that placement?

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
            PS I know I sound like a grumpy bitch right now, and I'm sorry. I'm having a bad day so please don't take it personally. You know I love you guys.
            Not to worry. We don't take your frustration personally.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Apparently this bad behavior goes back to KDE 4 days
              https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=123653
              But I have not located a bug report on it, which seems odd as I can't see that absolutely no one cared to make one in all this time.

Comment

I think the main reason for the "odd" placement of the toolbar items in your screenshots is that the xmlgui used for the toolbars includes a concept of "grouping" toolbar actions (into "file_operations", "edit_operations" etc., and that grouping takes precedence over individual icon placement if configured)...and the grouping configuration is not exposed in the GUI settings of the toolbar.

If you post your xmlgui config files for kwrite ($HOME/.local/share/kxmlgui5/kwrite/kwriteui.rc and $HOME/.local/share/kxmlgui5/katepart/katepart5ui.rc...yes, there are two of them, one for kwrite and one for the katepart)...I can take a look at the config and suggest possible modifications.

Comment

Working...
                X