Touchpad settings gone awry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touchpad settings gone awry

This just started happening out of the blue. The touchpad settings I had chosen 2+ weeks ago (when I installed 19.10) have not only undone themselves, but I now see that I don't even have a touchpad!:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_touchpad_120519_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	649554

Do note that while I was viewing that page...I was moving the cursor with the nonexistent touchpad.

Going to the 'Enable/Disable Touchpad' tab, shows me this--everything is grayed out, and it's ignoring my Trackman trackball:

Name:	tmp_touchpad_120519_2.jpg
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	649555

Can someone kindly clue me in on how to fix this? Knowing that I haven't even LOOKED at these settings since putting them the way I like (disabled touchpad when typing and when mouse is plugged in), I don't know how they changed, and with everything grayed out, I can't fix it. Why does it think the touchpad doesn't exist?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

If you're on 19.10, the following may not be applicable. I'm not sure.

For some laptop users on 18.04 with

Code:
    $ dpkg -l | grep "ii  linux-image"
    ii  linux-image-4.15.0-70-generic                   4.15.0-70.79 ...
    ii  linux-image-4.15.0-72-generic                   4.15.0-72.81 ...
    ii  linux-image-generic                             4.15.0.72.74 ...
    $
    there's a kernel issue:

I'm using the previous kernel (4.15.0-70) as suggested in comment #7 of https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1854798.
    Last edited by chimak111; Dec 05, 2019, 08:20 PM.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
      If you're on 19.10, the following may not be applicable. I'm not sure.

For some laptop users on 18.04 with

Code:
      ii  linux-image-4.15.0-70-generic                   4.15.0-70.79 ...
      ii  linux-image-4.15.0-72-generic                   4.15.0-72.81 ...
      ii  linux-image-generic                             4.15.0.72.74 ...
      $
      there's a kernel issue:

I'm using the previous kernel (4.15.0-70) as suggested in comment #7 of https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1854798.
      I don't think that's it; here's my output:

Code:
      ii  linux-image-5.3.0-18-generic                  5.3.0-18.19+1                               amd64        Signed kernel image generic
      ii  linux-image-5.3.0-23-generic                  5.3.0-23.25                                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic
      ii  linux-image-5.3.0-24-generic                  5.3.0-24.26                                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic
      ii  linux-image-generic                           5.3.0.24.28                                 amd64        Generic Linux kernel image
      One thing I haven't tried..and I should have by now, considering how things have been going...is rebooting. I'll do that in a minute or two.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
        I don't think that's it; here's my output:

Code:
        ii  linux-image-5.3.0-18-generic                  5.3.0-18.19+1                               amd64        Signed kernel image generic
        ii  linux-image-5.3.0-23-generic                  5.3.0-23.25                                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic
        ii  linux-image-5.3.0-24-generic                  5.3.0-24.26                                 amd64        Signed kernel image generic
        ii  linux-image-generic                           5.3.0.24.28                                 amd64        Generic Linux kernel image
        One thing I haven't tried..and I should have by now, considering how things have been going...is rebooting. I'll do that in a minute or two.
        Some are reporting touchpad issues with the 5.3.0 kernel.
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1847212
        Supposedly it is fixed in 5.3.0.32
        Meanwhile, a couple of possible workarounds:
        add the following to the kernel boot arguments:
        psmouse.elantech_smbus=0
        and/or
        Creating the following file in `/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-touchpad.conf` helped. Thank you.
        Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
        Driver "libinput"
        Option "Tapping" "true"
        Option "NaturalScrolling" "true"
        EndSection
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, I'm back--and once again, rebooting solved the problem. Sort of. See below. But what is up with this? If I wanted to reboot continually (and have few options for controlling how my OS looks, feels, acts, what software it has, constantly buy virus protection, etc.) I'd use windows.

Anyway, look at this shot from yesterday and note its choices:

Name:	tmp_touchpad_120519_2.jpg
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	649555

Now look at this shot from after rebooting just now, and note its LACK of certain choices:

Name:	tmp_touchpad_120619_1.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	644449

Specifically, there is no "disable touchpad when mouse is plugged in." It made me remember that when I set this up a few weeks ago, it did -not- have that option, and I was used to it being there from previous versions. So all I could do was "disable while typing," which is not ideal, but at least it helped a little. Any ideas on how to get the choices shown in yesterday's shot--from when the system thought there was no touchpad--but not grayed out? I've always had this laptop set to disable its touchpad once it detected a mouse [actually, trackball]; after rebooting, a notification would say exactly that. THAT'S the behavior I want back.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Some are reporting touchpad issues with the 5.3.0 kernel.
            https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1847212
            Supposedly it is fixed in 5.3.0.32
            Meanwhile, a couple of possible workarounds:
            Thanks, GG. Our posts crossed in cyberspace! I will keep your tips in mind in case it happens again. I do find it very odd, though, that the touchpad settings page has completely different choices in my two screenshots. I want the choices that I don't have! I know I had 'disable when mouse is plugged in' before I upgraded. I specifically looked for it first thing when I set this sucker up!

Comment

First question is are you sure you didn't start a Plasma (Wayland) session by mistake?
              The second screenshot looks like the settings available on Wayland and the first one looks like the settings you see with the xorg drivers in the "regular" Plasma session.

If you are not in a Wayland session, it could be a driver/hardware recognition issue.

Comment

If I told you I have no idea what Wayland is, including how to start it, would that suffice?

I was in the middle of typing a forum post when the letters suddenly appeared somewhere else in the post. I couldn't have touched the trackball...so I thought, hmmm...could it be...? And I moved my finger around on the touchpad--and watched the cursor respond.

Just out of the blue! Fixed by rebooting.

Comment

Maybe wayland is trying to waylay you

If you type:
                  echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
                  and it says
                  x11
                  it means you're not using wayland.

You should be able to choose the session type at the login screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                    Ha ha, maybe so!

If you type:
                    echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
                    and it says
                    x11
                    it means you're not using wayland.
                    Thanks; I'll test that tomorrow.

You should be able to choose the session type at the login screen.
                    I don't choose anything at startup, nor do I want to, so a session is a session is a session...

Comment

Well, I don't either, just saying, if you wanted to check out Wayland, or the possible sessions your system offers, you can Log Out, get the login screen, see if you like the splash, spend some time trying to change it... ;·) and check the session options

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                        Well, I don't either, just saying, if you wanted to check out Wayland, or the possible sessions your system offers, you can Log Out, get the login screen, see if you like the splash, spend some time trying to change it... ;·) and check the session options
                        Oh, I used to do all that--not Wayland, that's new to me, but I mean like have Xfce as a choice, and I remember IceWM, some other stuff...maybe LXDE? I don't know, I can't recall. Of course GNOME and Unity... Now I just want to log in and that's that. I'll get back to experimenting one day, I'm sure, but today's not that day yet.

Anyhow, I'm definitely not running Wayland:

Code:
                        $ echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
                        x11

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                          Anyhow, I'm definitely not running Wayland:
                          That's not it, then.

Next thing I'd check is which xorg input drivers are installed:
                          Code:
                          [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#18B218]dpkg[/COLOR] -l | [COLOR=#18B218]grep[/COLOR] xorg-input[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                          X