This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Logout screen goes black and becomes unresponsive

I'm not sure when exactly but recently when I tried to use the "Logout" choice under "Leave." my screen goes black and the system becomes unresponsive to keyboard and mouse input. The power button light remains on as does the keyboard background lights, but my only recourse is to do a hard reset using the power button. The Lock Screen choice works as do the other options. Any suggestions?

Host: Gazelle gaze14
    Kernel: 5.3.0-23-generic
    DE: KDE
    WM: KWin
    Theme: Breeze Dark [KDE], Breeze [GTK3]
    Breeze-dark [KDE], Breeze [GTK3]
    CPU: Intel i7-9750H (12) @ 4.500GHz
    GPU: NVIDIA NVIDIA Corporation Device 2191
    GPU: Intel Integrated Graphics
    Memory: 1836MiB / 15723MiB
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

strange ,,, you may have some uninstalled updates or such .

any way you may not half to do a hard reset with the power button , when/if it happens again press and hold down the "ctrl+alt+sysrq" and hit one by one wile holding those 3 down the r then s then u then b

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You're running 19.10's kernel on 18.04. Why? What hardware issues were you having that you thought you needed this kernel version? Don't get me wrong, as 18.04 is scheduled to get the 5.3.x kernel on February 6, 2020. Your boot kernel is 5.3.0-23. Do you have the previous point release of 5.3 you can boot into? If 'yes', do you experience the same problem?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        strange ,,, you may have some uninstalled updates or such .

any way you may not half to do a hard reset with the power button , when/if it happens again press and hold down the "ctrl+alt+sysrq" and hit one by one wile holding those 3 down the r then s then u then b

VINNY
        That worked, awkward but effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          You're running 19.10's kernel on 18.04. Why? What hardware issues were you having that you thought you needed this kernel version? Don't get me wrong, as 18.04 is scheduled to get the 5.3.x kernel on February 6, 2020. Your boot kernel is 5.3.0-23. Do you have the previous point release of 5.3 you can boot into? If 'yes', do you experience the same problem?
          Honestly Snowhog, I have no recollection of installing a different kernel. I usually just follow the updates available notification. I don't know if this is relevant but system76 does sometimes do their own upgrades.

P.S. latest update a few minutes ago now has me at 5.3.0-24.

Comment

The next LTS point release may be out in Feb, but the kernel here for me is 5.3, as Neon is using whatever Ubuntu has as the current kernel ie NOT using the hwe meta-packages, as far as I can tell. I don't know where they pull builds from, though.. I know PopOS LTS got it, too. It was about a month back, I was on the road with the Mrs at the time. I imagine System76 may have it for hardware support on their systems, but I'd think that their new stuff would be on 19.10.

Of course I have no idea id the OP is running Kubuntu 18.04 proper,, Neon, or System76's build with Plasma added. My 18.04 vm is still at 5.0
            Last edited by claydoh; Dec 02, 2019, 07:38 PM.

Comment

I'm running 18.04.3 LTS on my laptop, and I have all the 'official' repositories active (Kubuntu Software all checked; Updates [Kubuntu updates all checked]), and I'm on kernel 14.15.0-72-generic. Why am I not on the 5.3.x kernel?

Comment

I'm running 18.04.3 LTS on my laptop, and I have all the 'official' repositories active (Kubuntu Software all checked; Updates [Kubuntu updates all checked]), and I'm on kernel 14.15.0-72-generic. Why am I not on the 5.3.x kernel?
                If you upgraded, or installed the original LTS, or the .1 iso, the HWE is disabled by default. Any installs from .2 onward have it enabled.
                https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEn..._Bionic_Beaver

Comment

Ah. Thank you. Yes, I installed from an .ISO that was 18.04.1 IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    Of course I have no idea id the OP is running Kubuntu 18.04 proper,, Neon, or System76's build with Plasma added. My 18.04 vm is still at 5.0
                    I'm running Kubuntu 18.04.3. Hence the forum in which it is posted.

Comment

A few months back, when I moved from a spinner to an SSD, I reinstalled with 18.04.3 and am on the HWE path, also.
                      The next brick house on the left
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
                      X