Google Drive setup succeeds...then fails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Drive setup succeeds...then fails

If this better belongs somewhere else, kindly move it there my dear mods.

I stepped through the process, via System Settings | Online Accounts, of connecting to my Google Drive. It worked perfectly, prompting me for my credentials, which I supplied, then asking me to 'allow' access, which I did, and resulted in this, which includes an e-mail acknowledgment:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_added_Google_120219_1a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	649549

Great, I thought!, that was super easy. But then it gets a little odd:

Name:	tmp_added_Google_120219_2a.jpg
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	649550

So I stepped through everything multiple times, at one point having to delete some config files it had created in $HOME before it would function again, and got various results:

Name:	tmp_added_Google_120219_3a.jpg
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	649551

Name:	tmp_added_Google_120219_4a.jpg
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	649552

The one thing I never did get was actual access to my Google Drive. I'm so frustrated at this point with 19.10 I'm seriously thinking of sticking my 14.04 disc in and putting things back the way they were! I've never had this much trouble, or been this flustered, setting up a *nix box, and I mean dating back to SCO Xenix in the 1980s! All command line, no GUI whatsoever, and everything just [blanking] worked.

Is it just me having so much trouble, or is this a flaky release? I'm thinking now that I probably should've listened to...who was it? @claydoh? I don't remember, someone said 18.04 might be a better choice. But, NO!!, I wanted to go full-blown current! So here I sit. Networking isn't working, Google Drive isn't working (yes, I can access it via web browser, but that's not the point), I've pretty much given up on recreating the look I want...I'm just not a happy camper.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Dunno. It works fine for me, across two different systems at the moment, including one 19.10 system

Comment

Only a question, but have you rebooted?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I just now setup Google My Drive on my laptop running Kubuntu 18.04. Worked perfectly.

I have to believe that something on/about your rig/installation is wonky.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Only a question, but have you rebooted?
          No.

If you're aware of all the rebooting I've done lately, you'd think that would've popped into my head straight away! But it didn't. So I shall try it now...
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Just rebooted...same result.

I hadn't bothered posting a pic of this, but:

Name:	tmp_added_Google_120219_5a.jpg
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	644441

and when I select it, it spawns a new Dolphin window, opening gdrive, with just that blank-faced avatar and green plus sign to add a new account... If I click the blank-faced avatar, my unnamed account shows up in its list, and I can check/uncheck which services I want (Drive, YouTube), but I can't 'apply' them (it's grayed out), nor can I edit its nonexistent name. All I can do is 'ok' or 'cancel,' neither of which accomplishes anything.

Name:	tmp_added_Google_120219_2a.jpg
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	649550

I think I'm done. Starting over sounds like a good idea to me right about now. What's the consensus regarding version? Should I go with 18.04 instead of 19.10? Or 19.04? Or re-do 19.10? Throw in the towel and go back to 14.04?!

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Dunno. It works fine for me, across two different systems at the moment, including one 19.10 system
              Please see my last reply. I think I'm done.

Comment

imnsho, it doesn't matter if you go 18.04 or 19.10, or even 20.04, in terms of the extensive customization you are doing. Plasma 5,12 (18.04) is still a huge jump from KDE 4, and only slightly different from 5.16 in 19.10, as the look and feel options are all basically identical
                You will be going through the same things all over again, and having the exact same issues no matter what newer release you use. I won't even mention going back to 14.04, but that of course is up to you.

Comment

If you just launch Dolphin, under Places do you see Network? That's what I see. Expanding the Network folder shows me my Google log in email account folder, which is my Google Drive.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    imnsho, it doesn't matter if you go 18.04 or 19.10, or even 20.04, in terms of the extensive customization you are doing. Plasma 5,12 (18.04) is still a huge jump from KDE 4, and only slightly different from 5.16 in 19.10, as the look and feel options are all basically identical
                    You will be going through the same things all over again, and having the exact same issues no matter what newer release you use. I won't even mention going back to 14.04, but that of course is up to you.
                    But my extensive customization should have no bearing on issues like this thread's, right? Or the networking issue? (The laptop not being accessible, despite being seen, by other devices on the same network.)

I will eventually download/install/tweak enough visual stuff to be okay, if not thrilled, with its look--but not having network access is a deal-breaker.

Comment

If you just launch Dolphin, under Places do you see Network? That's what I see. Expanding the Network folder shows me my Google log in email account folder, which is my Google Drive.
                      Yes, I see Network--that's where my screenshots of gdrive come from.

IOW, I select Network, then see various entries, including Google Drive [or however it's labelled]; it's when I select Google Drive that I get the varying results in the screenshots.

(I'm not at the laptop right now.)

Comment

When you are able, what groups is your user a member of? Open a konsole and type: groups

@ here, they are: paul adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare

Comment

When you are able, what groups is your user a member of? Open a konsole and type: groups

Thanks. I'll check that tomorrow.

Comment

Yes, basically the same here:

myname adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin lxd sambashare

But! I have good news today. [Not about Google Drive...that's the same.] In Synaptic, I plunged in and removed anything and everything related to Samba/CIFS/smb/networking/etc. Then I calmly repeated steps I've done a million times, like adding a specific block of info to smb.conf [copied from another computer], and, voila!, success. I can now access everything on the laptop from at least one device, the only one I've tried so far, since I had it with me, one of my Android phones. I can read/write/delete, do whatever I need. So that is over, and I feel a lot lighter today!

Now if only I could get Google Drive working...
                            Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Dec 03, 2019, 04:38 PM.

Comment

No further thoughts on this?

I don't even really USE Google Drive--I have a paid Dropbox account and that's where I store stuff off-site--but it's the principle of the thing! I like everything to work, so when something doesn't, and especially when there's no good reason for it not to, it annoys me. (The only thing I use Drive for is auto-backups Google does of various things; after 10+ years, I'm using a whopping 2 of 15G!) If I really want to use Drive from this laptop, I can do it via SeaMonkey, or I can just use my Android devices to up- or download its files. But still...

Comment

Working...
                              X