This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] LAN Tools ?

Looking for some kind of tool that I can run on my 18.04 desktop that will let me see what/who is on my household network.
    They used to have some of what I was looking for on the Linksys software when you signed in to their router...the IP address for each computer/person/etc. and all the other info that there is to be had.

I have a webcam that will have an address that it (or the router) somehow generates and before I can log in to it I have to know what its IP address is.

It would be real handy if I just had this little "utility" that would let me look at my LAN and get all that info at any particular time.
    I tried logging in to this new router (not Linksys) and it screwed it up and the phone company got pretty mad because they had to give me a new router.

Thanks
    G
    Greg
    W9WD

Take a look at https://itsfoss.com/how-to-find-what...ork-in-ubuntu/
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Can't recommend but here is link I saved.

https://blog.stackpath.com/linux-monitoring-tools/

-=Ken=-
      -=Ken=-
      "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
      DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

88 monitoring tools and no Wireshark? Click image for larger version

Name:	icon_smile_wink.gif
Views:	2
Size:	671 Bytes
ID:	644444
        Not that I would recommend Wireshark... but still. *

What does your Dolphin show for Network? Maybe enough for what you want...

Click image for larger version

Name:	dolpnetw.png
Views:	1
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	644445

(Liveboxplus is my router, BTW, and I can get it to show connected devices really easily).

* Going slightly off-topic here, but while I'm at it, doesn't anybody think that a smart packet sniffer is sorely needed?
        I mean one that would let you monitor network activity and alert you of "suspicious" ones - to be user-defined, with guidelines.. you hopefully get my drift...
        I mean, in such a wild environment as TCP-IP worldwide-connected devices (yes, the internet :·) shouldn't it be the top priority in software development? Click image for larger version

Name:	icon_smile_firuli.gif
Views:	11
Size:	708 Bytes
ID:	644446
        Even Kali hasn't got anything even remotely approaching... what I personally think is... rather essential.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
          88 monitoring tools and no Wireshark? [ATTACH=CONFIG]8465[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8466[/ATTACH]

(Liveboxplus is my router, BTW, and I can get it to show connected devices really easily).

* Going slightly off-topic here, but while I'm at it, doesn't anybody think that a smart packet sniffer is sorely needed?
          I mean one that would let you monitor network activity and alert you of "suspicious" ones - to be user-defined, with guidelines.. you hopefully get my drift...
          I mean, in such a wild environment as TCP-IP worldwide-connected devices (yes, the internet :·) shouldn't it be the top priority in software development? [ATTACH=CONFIG]8467[/ATTACH]
          Even Kali hasn't got anything even remotely approaching... what I personally think is... rather essential.
          wireshark is available if you need it .

Code:
          vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt show wireshark-qt
          Package: wireshark-qt
          Version: 2.6.10-1~ubuntu18.04.0
          Priority: optional
          Section: universe/net
          Source: wireshark
          Origin: Ubuntu
          Maintainer: Balint Reczey <rbalint@ubuntu.com>
          Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
          Installed-Size: 8,562 kB
          Depends: libc6 (>= 2.15), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.31.8), libnl-3-200 (>= 3.2.7), libnl-genl-3-200 (>= 3.2.7), libnl-route-3-200 (>= 3.2.7), libpcap0.8 (>= 1.5.1), libqt5core5a (>= 5.9.0~beta), libqt5gui5 (>= 5.8.0), libqt5multimedia5 (>= 5.6.0~beta), libqt5printsupport5 (>= 5.2.0), libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.3.0), libstdc++6 (>= 5.2), libwireshark11 (>= 2.5.1), libwiretap8 (>= 2.6.2), libwscodecs2 (>= 2.5.0), libwsutil9 (>= 2.6.5), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4), wireshark-common (= 2.6.10-1~ubuntu18.04.0)
          Recommends: libqt5multimedia5-plugins
          Breaks: ethereal (<< 1.0.0-3), wireshark (<< 2.0.0~)
          Replaces: ethereal (<< 1.0.0-3), wireshark (<< 2.0.0~)
          Homepage: http://www.wireshark.org/
          Download-Size: 3,429 kB
          APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/universe amd64 Packages
          Description: network traffic analyzer - Qt version
          Wireshark is a network "sniffer" - a tool that captures and analyzes
          packets off the wire. Wireshark can decode too many protocols to list
          here.
          This package provides the Qt version of Wireshark.
          nmap will scan your (or any) network for connected devices and give some info on them

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
            88 monitoring tools and no Wireshark? [ATTACH=CONFIG]8465[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8466[/ATTACH]

I mean, in such a wild environment as TCP-IP worldwide-connected devices (yes, the internet :·) shouldn't it be the top priority in software development? [ATTACH=CONFIG]8467[/ATTACH]
            I have a "Network" folder but there is nothing in it.
            No "Liveboxplus" at all.
            Greg
            W9WD

Comment

This might get what you want:

https://itsfoss.com/nutty-network-monitoring-tool/

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X