Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will not boot without usb stick in

Hi guys
    No stranger to Kubuntu but trying to install 19.10 on a little 64 bit Acer laptop. I created a usb stick ( through Win 10) using Rufus and selecting the Bios or uefi option and fat 32. With the usb stick plugged in 19.10 runs fine in trial mode but after installing I’m going round in circles trying to get it to boot without the usb stick in. Seem to install ok and I leave the usb stick in until it tells me to remove it and then it tries to boot giving the message ‘no boot device’. If I leave the usb stick in it keeps going through the try or install screen , any ideas what I can I do get the thing to boot from it’s own hard disk please as I must have tried every option in the bios, secure boot, insecure boot etc etc. Note I have tried 19.04 with the same result!.
    cheers
    Steve

In your bios, have you specified the boot drive device?

Are you doing any custom install options?

Is the computer set to boot to in bios, or Legacy mode, or is it set to use UEFI/EFI?
    What is the make and model?

You most likely want to use GPT/UEFI settings in Rufus, or use the 'dd mode' option that may appear when using it,m else try Balena Etcher, which is a simple point-and-click application that has never failed to make a boot stick for me as long as I have used it ( years now), no matter what sort of system I have. I think using DD works great for Ubuntu based install disks, and Etcher iirc is using that.

https://linuxhint.com/rufus_bootable...ntu_18-04_lts/

Comment

Hi
      Thanks for the quick reply. Yes changed bios to boot from the 32gb onboard drive, default install option using the whole drive, set to boot uefi, it’s an Acer e11 laptop. Used the default Rufus settings can’t remember if dd option used will check that, I’ll also try Balena Etcher too ( never heard of that app!)
      thanks again
      Steve

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      In your bios, have you specified the boot drive device?

Are you doing any custom install options?

Is the computer set to boot to in bios, or Legacy mode, or is it set to use UEFI/EFI?
      What is the make and model?

You most likely want to use GPT/UEFI settings in Rufus, or use the 'dd mode' option that may appear when using it,m else try Balena Etcher, which is a simple point-and-click application that has never failed to make a boot stick for me as long as I have used it ( years now), no matter what sort of system I have. I think using DD works great for Ubuntu based install disks, and Etcher iirc is using that.

https://linuxhint.com/rufus_bootable...ntu_18-04_lts/

Comment

There are a number of how-tos on installing linux, or *buntu on this, assuming these are the same as your model. They may be a bit outdated, as hardware support is likely better, but the prep and install steps should be the same.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ok-4175597270/

If this is the same as what you have - dual core celeron, 2gb ram, be prepared for it to be a bit pokey, or a lot pokey once you run a web browser. Plasma may be OK in this ( I have used on similar hardware) but running any heavy software might slow it down. However, it will run better than Windows. If the Ram is upgradeable, more will help. And do the Minimal install option.

Comment

Sorted

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          There are a number of how-tos on installing linux, or *buntu on this, assuming these are the same as your model. They may be a bit outdated, as hardware support is likely better, but the prep and install steps should be the same.

https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ok-4175597270/

If this is the same as what you have - dual core celeron, 2gb ram, be prepared for it to be a bit pokey, or a lot pokey once you run a web browser. Plasma may be OK in this ( I have used on similar hardware) but running any heavy software might slow it down. However, it will run better than Windows. If the Ram is upgradeable, more will help. And do the Minimal install option.
          Thanks for the info Claydoh, finally managed to get it to boot by messing about with the boot settings and some boot file I mysteriously created ??.

Comment

Sorted

Duplicated reply
            Last edited by Steve; Dec 03, 2019, 04:50 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

Comment

During the installation procedure one is asked where to install the boot loader. That question is often over looked and it can be set to the USB stick and not the drive or partition destination.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X