Widget called 'Quick Access'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Widget called 'Quick Access'

This was discussed in another thread, but without a solution. However, at the time, I hadn't scoured my backups...dating back decades... I have now! And I found that I downloaded the widget, in a directory mysteriously named /data/downloads/widgets. The thing is, I read its 'readme' and I know I never did any of what it says before. I'm wondering if there's some automated way to install it in 19.10, perhaps putting its entire contents into a tarball or something. Its readme says:

Code:
    QuickAccess README
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    About:
    ======
    I loved the Kickerapplett to browse through directories and 
    since there is no replacement for KDE4/Plasma yet I thought 
    I try to do something similar...
    Well thats the result...

My work is based on the work of some other people, and they should be mentioned:
    Robert Knight: pieces of code from Kickoff
    Peter Penz   : IconManager

Bugs/Wishes:
    ============
    email me: wirrkpf@googlemail.com

Install:
    ========
    You need at least KDE 4.1 beta, because the Plasma-API changed 
    from 4.0 to 4.1 and I don't know if it works as expected (or at all) on KDE 4.0.x

You will need the following packages and the corresponding devel packages:
    -kdelibs
    -kdebase-workspace
    -libkonq

to install:
    mkdir build
    cd build
    cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config --prefix` ..
    make
    sudo make install

You have to restart plasma to find QuickAccess in the Add Applets dialog:
    kquitapp plasma && plasma

Changelog:
    ==========
    0.7.1:
    ------
    -fixed a bug which lets quickaccess/plasma crash if you didn't open the popupdialog before

0.7:
    ----
    -sorting
    -improved selection(by rubberband or shift/ctrl)
    -fixed a bug with invalid urls and changed default path to "~"
    -applet should now save the size if placed on the desktop
    -improved scrollinganimation
    -the popupdialog gets closed when an item in the contexmenu is triggered

0.6.1:
    ------
    -fixed a bug with doubleclick settings(thanks for the report painkiller101)
    -fixed a bug where the icon in the panel remains highlighted
    -the listview now has by default keyboard focus
    -changed the width of the text in iconmode

0.6:
    ----
    -changed the flipscrollview to an itemview that supports a listmode and an iconmode
    -option to disable navigation(clicking on a folder opens dolphin/konqueror)
    -some visual changes

0.5.2:
    ------
    -fixed a bug where the previewimagesize was not updated when the iconsize of the listview changed
    -tooltips are disabled by default
    -little changes in the itemheight

0.5.1:
    ------
    -fixed a bug where the text in the listview was drawn under the triangle

0.5:
    ----
    -ToolTip support
    -extracted the resizefunctionality into a base class
    -option to adjust which previewplugins should be used(by default only the imageplugin)
    -some visual "improvements"

0.4:
    ----
    -little cosmetic changes in the openbutton
    -custom label support
    -option to only show icons in the flipscrollview

0.3:
    ----
    -use KDE's global single/double click settings for the flipscrollview
    -Drag and Drop support

0.2:
    ----
    -option to only show folders
    -option to filter the contents
    Here's a glance at its contents; note that the file called plasma-applet-quickaccess--which is shown as a directory--is actually a 'desktop configuration file' per its properties:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_QuickAccess_112719_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	649548

What do you think? Can I get this to work? Easily, preferably.

BTW, are googlemail addresses still alive? Or were those automatically converted to gmail addresses? Or died? Or what? I'd love to reach out to the author and let him know how much I like, and have relied on, this widget.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Well, it is abandoned.
    If you read the comments, even on the "maintenance fork", the most recent is from 3 years ago.

One is (maybe) interesting:
    "Actually, for anyone looking to install quickaccess in plasma 5, the same functionality is included in the folder view widget and works great!"
    So maybe that was why it was abandoned?

Comment

If you do some search foo, you should find up to four forks of this that are more recent, and none past KDE 4. It calls some KDE 4 specific libraries, as well as Qt4 ones, and these bits no longer exist.
      https://store.kde.org/content/show.php?content=163309

What you have here is the source code that needs to be compiled. Someone would have to take the code and re-write it to work for a completely different system, I imagine. Especially as the old one is pure c++ I think, while the new stuff is a small amount of that, and then qml for the UI parts.

You might get better answers on a place like KDE's forums, IRC, etc, as there are actual developers and coders on those. I have a feeling that getting this to work would be a major task, and that modifying the existing Folder View code would be the way to go.

Comment

'It is dead Jim'

Use folderview.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Okay, thanks guys. I tried the folder view widget and some others, but did not get the same look/functionality. It's possible I dismissed them too quickly; I'll take a better look.

It's frustrating knowing that I have the widget I want...but can't use it.
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Just an update before marking this solved: I've replicated the look of Quick Access in Folder View, and although it doesn't work exactly like QA, it's usable. What I dislike most about it is that when I want to open / (which sits atop its list), I have to actually BE ON the tiny little "/" to activate it. In QA, clicking anywhere in that top row would get me there. I have problems with both shaky hands and eyesight due to two illnesses, so navigating the trackball over to an EXACT, teensy-weensy spot on the screen, and holding it there long enough to click, is not easy!

Comment

Well, you could make a symlink from, say, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious to / :·)

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                Well, you could make a symlink from, say, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious to / :·)
                Yes I could! That's an excellent idea, actually. Nice and long...

Oh...but I forgot to mention the other thing I dislike about Folder View: when navigating its entries (not including / at the top), clicking a location, like /data, then lists that location's contents; to go to /data, I have to navigate to the top of the widget and--as with / in my previous rant--get RIGHT ON its name to click it. QA, on the other hand, intelligently knew that when I chose /data, I wanted to GO TO /data, not see its contents and have to do extra clicking to get where I wanted! *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                  What I dislike most about it is that when I want to open / (which sits atop its list), I have to actually BE ON the tiny little "/" to activate it.
                  If you change the "Title" settings to "Default" in the widget's settings, the title should display "Root" instead of "/" (which should be easier to hit).

Technically it shouldn't be a big change in the widget to make the whole title row clickable, if that's what you'd prefer (I could take a look at the code if you are not into that yourself)
                  Last edited by kubicle; Dec 08, 2019, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                    I could take a look at the code if you are not into that yourself
                    Here's a quick-n-dirty mod to the widget that makes the title row clickable by adding an additional MouseArea to it:

1. Make a local copy of the widget to modify (so updates to the widget won't overwrite your modifications) by copying /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment to $HOME/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/
                    2. Edit $HOME/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/FolderViewLayer.qml, modifications in bold (starting around line 320, might depend on the version of the widget you have installed):
                    Code:
                    PlasmaComponents.Label {
                                id: text

anchors {
                                    left: label.homeButton ? label.homeButton.right : parent.left
                                    right: label.windowPin ? label.windowPin.left : parent.right
                                    margins: units.smallSpacing
                                }
                    [COLOR=#ff0000]            [B]MouseArea {
                                    id: titleMouseArea
                                    hoverEnabled: true
                                    height: parent.height
                                    width: parent.width
                                    cursorShape: Qt.PointingHandCursor
                                    onClicked: {
                                        var action = plasmoid.action("run associated application");

if (action) {
                                            action.trigger();
                                        }
                                    }
                                }[/B][/COLOR]
                                height: parent.height

horizontalAlignment: Text.AlignHCenter
                                verticalAlignment: Text.AlignTop
                                elide: Text.ElideMiddle
                                text: labelGenerator.displayLabel
                    [COLOR=#ff0000]            font.underline: [B]titleMouseArea.containsMouse || [/B]labelMouseArea.containsMouse[/COLOR]
                            }
                    3. restart plasmashell
                    4. full title row is clickable

Comment

Thank you, kubicle! I will give that a try and post its results.

Comment

Working...
                      X