Bashing my brains in because it just keeps crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bashing my brains in because it just keeps crashing

Well I love 19.04 but it doesn't like me, after the latest batch of updates Kodi keeps crashing or I get flashing artifacts of different colours.

It's got me thinking about giving 19.04 the boot and dropping down to 18.04.

The laptop I use is not exactly top notch with all usb ports dead I have one esata port that doubles as a usb port[emoji2]

System specs

CPU Intel core 2 duo T6600 @ 2.20 GHz
    Ram 3 GiB

And I'm dual booting with Kali

What would be the best desktop environment to use?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
    Tutorials:
    Yoda's ownCloud Installation on Kubuntu 20.04

Is it Kodi that is crashing/flashing? Are you using the stock packaging, or are you running a more up to date version? Both 18.04 and 19.04/19.10 come with 17.6, and the latest is 18.5.
    Any third party addons?

Either Plasma 5.12 (Kubuntu 18.04) or 5.16/17 (Kubuntu 19.10) will be about the same on resources, especially if you do the Minimal Install option and do things like disabling the file indexing, so if 18.04 was working, there is no reason to upgrade, really, especially if Kodi is the main use of the system.
    Video card /drivers might be the issue, but harder to determine or troubleshoot if it only happening in Kodi.

Comment

As daft as it is I was thinking of using say Ubuntu 18.04 lts and using something like deepin or lxde as a desktop environment to lighten the recourse usage just a thought, I forgot to mention it's an intermittent issue and everything else seems to work fine 9 times out of 10.

I'm using kodi 18.05

Tutorials:

Comment

Was your 19.04 a 'fresh' installation, or an upgrade from an existing installation?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Was your 19.04 a 'fresh' installation, or an upgrade from an existing installation?
          It was a nice fresh install pal

Tutorials:

Comment

Ok let's assume for one moment that I'm doing a fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS considering the system specs.

System specs

CPU Intel core 2 duo T6600 @ 2.20 GHz

Ram 3 GiB

GPU (ATI Radeon HD4570 512mb)

Info provided by kodi,
            AMD RV710 (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.0.0-32- generic, LLVM 8.0.0)

And I'm dual booting with Kali

What desktop environment would work best for me I'm considering enlightenment or deepin or lxde

Tutorials:

Comment

Lxde will be easier to manage and configure, and more familiar, as well as lightweight. It likely won't cure any issues with Kodi crashing, or any graphical glitches it is showing.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                Lxde will be easier to manage and configure, and more familiar, as well as lightweight. It likely won't cure any issues with Kodi crashing, or any graphical glitches it is showing.
                I'm just trying to free up as many resources as possible as well as downgrading to 18.04 as most of the software is completely compatible as it may be package conflicts and it cleans up any junk n stuff that is not needed anymore

Tutorials:

Comment

Working...
                X