Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to upgrade single package to higher version than what is in the regular repo?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to upgrade single package to higher version than what is in the regular repo?

Hi! This is probably a newbie question that has a trivial answer; I just couldn't figure out what to search for. Sorry about that!

Using the standard package upgrades in Kubuntu 18.04 I get Spectacle 17.12.3. I want to try to upgrade to a newer version of Spectacle because I want some specific features. Can I enable some "testing" or "unstable" repo to get a newer version of this specific package? And if so, how can I check in advance what version I can get?

Thanks in advance! There's probably a guide for this, I just didn't know what to search for.

In 18.04, no. As an LTS, it will have only the Plasma LTS versions (5.12.x) Technically, there could be PPA repos created by the Kubuntu team to bring newer stuff, but in the case of 18.04, the Qt libraries would also be needed to be upgraded for newer Plasma/KDE stuff, and adding this to a PPA will cause many/most non-KDE things that use Qt to break.

So, in the case of an LTS release of Kubuntu, there is no option available, unfortunately.
    If you were on a non-LTS there are update PPAs available.

What specific features are you looking to check out? There are a number of different good screenshot tools out there, and you are not 'stuck' using any particular one.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      In 18.04, no. As an LTS, it will have only the Plasma LTS versions (5.12.x) Technically, there could be PPA repos created by the Kubuntu team to bring newer stuff, but in the case of 18.04, the Qt libraries would also be needed to be upgraded for newer Plasma/KDE stuff, and adding this to a PPA will cause many/most non-KDE things that use Qt to break.

So, in the case of an LTS release of Kubuntu, there is no option available, unfortunately.
      If you were on a non-LTS there are update PPAs available.
      Oh. All right. I thought it was possible. Thanks!

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      What specific features are you looking to check out? There are a number of different good screenshot tools out there, and you are not 'stuck' using any particular one.
      Specifically I want the "fixes" to Bugzilla 414222 and 414223.
      But now I've installed KSnapshot from source instead,

Comment

Working...
      X