No announcement yet.

Where did all the font settings go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Where did all the font settings go?

There used to be a HUGE amount of font settings, for everything, every element you could think of that involves text. I was stunned to look at 19.10's fonts settings page and find this very short list:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_fonts_112119.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	649545

Why?! Where'd they go? How do I get them back? I never understand -removing- perfectly good options. I mean, if I wanted to be limited in how much I can customize my environment, I'd use a crappy, locked-down OS, you know?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Did you click on Font Management?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Did you click on Font Management?
      Of course. But it has nothing to do with the missing settings on the page I posted.

I'm hoping to find a screenshot showing all the other choices there used to be. Seeing a side-by-side comparison would really underscore how lacking the choices are now.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
        Of course. But it has nothing to do with the missing settings on the page I posted.

I'm hoping to find a screenshot showing all the other choices there used to be. Seeing a side-by-side comparison would really underscore how lacking the choices are now.
        Please post them if you do, the font settings seem basically the same than in older versions (just differently organized), but it's been a good while since I've used older versions so it would be interesting to know what is missing (and I can't really think of more fontconfig settings that would make sense to put in a GUI...you can set separate rules for individual fonts in fontconfig, but that would make the GUI unnecessarily complex for the value it brings, since it's possible to set the rules in the confg files for the rare cases it is really necessary).

EDIT: if you can't find a screenshot, you can run an older live-media and take a screenshot.
        Last edited by kubicle; Nov 22, 2019, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Kde4

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8404[/ATTACH]
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Okay, my memory's not as great as I like to think it is. I found a screenshot from a few months ago; it does indeed show more settings...but not a ton of them:

Name:	Kubuntu_font_settings_from_042119.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	644396

I've noticed that many of the fonts don't have choices for bold, Italics, whatever--but, I have yet to install my 2500+ fonts I've collected over the years, so this won't end up being a problem. It's just surprising that something like Monospace doesn't have bold as one of its choices.

Comment

In the screen shot you provided, click on the Choose button(s) and you will be presented with other options for the font.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                In the screen shot you provided, click on the Choose button(s) and you will be presented with other options for the font.
                You're pointing to the old one! The one that had more font-setting options for the system. And, yes, I know to choose each one's 'choose' button (which is no longer called 'choose'--it's just a pencil icon--as seen in the new one [in the OP])--that's how each font got its settings!

Comment

I think we are a bit lost.
                  What specific settings are you missing?
                  I can't see any difference in the options between the old and the new. outside there being 6 sections to adjust as opposed to 8 (the Desktop and the Taskbar)
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    I think we are a bit lost.
                    What specific settings are you missing?
                    I can't see any difference in the options between the old and the new. outside there being 6 sections to adjust as opposed to 8 (the Desktop and the Taskbar)
                    That's why I said: "I found a screenshot from a few months ago; it does indeed show more settings...but not a ton of them"

I also said: "And, yes, I know to choose each one's 'choose' button (which is no longer called 'choose'--it's just a pencil icon--as seen in the new one [in the OP])--that's how each font got its settings! "

And, finally, I said: "It's just surprising that something like Monospace doesn't have bold as one of its choices."

Name:	tmp_fonts_112319_1.jpg
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	644410

Comment

And, finally, I said: "It's just surprising that something like Monospace doesn't have bold as one of its choices."
                      Depends on the font itself, not all of them have all the different variants. But there are plenty of monospaced font types with bold variants included, my personal favorites are "Hack" (for text editors and gui terminals) and "Terminus" (for tty consoles)...but there are plenty of other choices, "DejaVu Sans Mono" is one of the more popular ones.

Comment

Yeah, but Monospace has had bold -forever- ...until now. I probably have an old version of it among my many thousands of still-not-installed fonts, so I'm sure it'll end up okay.

Comment

Yeah, but Monospace has had bold -forever- ...until now. I probably have an old version of it among my many thousands of still-not-installed fonts, so I'm sure it'll end up okay.
                          The "Monospace" font you see in linux by default is a fontconfig alias (like "Sans" and "Serif") it is not really a font but a shorthand for another font (you can check which font by running "fc-match Monospace" from the cli).
                          But you might be onto a bug as,at least on my end, "Monospace" is "DejavuSansMono" which actually should have a bold variant that isn't shown when I select "Monospace"

You can work around that by selecting the "Real" font instead of "Monospace" (It's the same font type)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                            The "Monospace" font you see in linux by default is a fontconfig alias (like "Sans" and "Serif") it is not really a font but a shorthand for another font (you can check which font by running "fc-match Monospace" from the cli).
                            Thanks for that. I don't recall ever knowing about fc-match, so I'm glad I do now! I'm sure it'll come in handy.

But you might be onto a bug as,at least on my end, "Monospace" is "DejavuSansMono" which actually should have a bold variant that isn't shown when I select "Monospace"
                            Interesting.

You can work around that by selecting the "Real" font instead of "Monospace" (It's the same font type)
                            Thanks. I'm not at the computer right now, so I can't tell you which ones, but I've pretty much settled on fonts for most apps I use, like konsole, and for the system.

Thanks again for the helpful info.

Comment

Working...
                            X