Can't add printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PRINTER] Can't add printer

Background: I have an HP Deskjet F4150 (F4100 series) all-in-one printer; I've had it for 13 years. It's been connected to the same computer the entire time, a Compaq desktop running 9.10 (yeah, I know, whatever!). In all this time, through at least 4 desktops, 5 laptops, and 7 Android devices, I've -never- had to manually add the printer; it's always been seen/discovered, or I could browse for it, by the new computer I'm setting up to use it over the network. Since I just did a clean install of 19.10 on this laptop [to replace 14.04], I need to get the printer working with it. But I can't figure out how!

On the laptop, in its printer settings, I see:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_printer_circled_112119_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	649541

Since the printer is not automatically being found, as it has 100% of the time in the last 13 years, I've stepped through each choice, but had no idea what to enter. I paused on Samba shares--the laptop connects to the Compaq via Samba, and I can access its files without issue--where you'll note that the 'browse' button is grayed out. I've always been able to browse for it if it wasn't automatically found.

Here, I'm showing the Compaq (via KRDC) and its printer settings in the hope that someone can tell me the correct syntax on the laptop for adding this printer:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_printer_Compaq_112119_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	649542

When I stepped through each of the possible printer types (in the left column, first screenshot), example syntax popped up on the right--NONE looked familiar.

Help?!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

See if you can install the package hplip-gui
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Okay, I'll give that a try. Later. I way overdid it yesterday and am paying for it today, in bed. But it's okay! I felt great sitting up at the computer all day yesterday--a first, since before I got sick--so I don't mind resting today.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        I did. It didn't.

Since that didn't help, anyone have other ideas?

Comment

I believe the problem is the kernel you are using.

I have an HP LaserJet Pro 1606dn monochrome duplex laser. I do not use it very much. Sometime in the past the kernel was updated to 4.15.0-66 and I never noticed because I have system updates take place in the background. I experienced everything you experienced. Either the printer would go through the motions but not print anything, or it would go through the motions but eject a blank paper. I updated the 3.17.10 HP driver to the 3.19.11 driver. And back again. Failures. Then I turned off my printer, unplugged the USB cable and unplug the power cord to clear its memory. I also rebooted my laptop. Then I plugged the printer's power cord back into the wall socket. Then I turned it on. It cycled and made all the power up noises it usually makes. Then I plugged its USB cable back into my laptop. It automatically configured and the test print produced the test page printout. I thought I had solved the problem. I always leave my printer turned on but it goes to sleep if it hasn't been used in the last 5 minutes. I locked the 66 version of the kernel. The next morning I booted up my laptop and out of curiosity I printed another test page. It was blank. I attempted to unlock the 66 version but was informed that muon couldn't gain custody of the repository because another process had control of it. My second try was successful about 30 seconds later. While I was removing the locks on the 66 version I noticed that the 70 version had just been installed. I uninstalled the 66 and previous versions of the kernel and made 70 my boot kernel. A test of the printer was successful and it has printed well, including in the duplex mode, since then. It also worked with both the 3.17.10 and the 3.19.11 drivers so I used the latest, the 3.19.11 and its duplex driver.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 22, 2019, 11:36 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GG, I think there's some miscommunication here. The printer is not connected to this laptop [the one I just upgraded to 19.10]. It is, and has been for 13 years, connected to a Compaq desktop. All my other devices print to it over my network. Its kernel version, unplugging its USB cable, etc., have no bearing [that I can see].

This specific laptop is the only device not seeing the printer. It used to--before I put 19.10 on it!

Comment

GG, I think there's some miscommunication here. The printer is not connected to this laptop [the one I just upgraded to 19.10]. It is, and has been for 13 years, connected to a Compaq desktop. All my other devices print to it over my network. Its kernel version, unplugging its USB cable, etc., have no bearing [that I can see].

This specific laptop is the only device not seeing the printer. It used to--before I put 19.10 on it!

Comment

Oh, my bad. (Now you know why I've backed off from giving advice. )

Is your Compaq a 32 bit machine?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It could be a compatibility issue with a 10 year old Samba setup, as Samba have disabled connecting to ancient SMB1 servers the default. This client setting can be changed, however.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-t-add-printer
                  https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/...ba-shares.html

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    Oh, my bad. (Now you know why I've backed off from giving advice. )
                    Oh, gosh, no worries there. You're a legend in my mind. The advice and stories you've shared over the years have been a big part of why I love KFN.

Is your Compaq a 32 bit machine?
                    Yes, I'm quite sure it is. It's right at 13 years old.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    It could be a compatibility issue with a 10 year old Samba setup, as Samba have disabled connecting to ancient SMB1 servers the default. This client setting can be changed, however.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-t-add-printer
                    https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/...ba-shares.html
                    I'll take a look at those links later. But I just want to reiterate that this -same- laptop, until 12 days ago, printed to that printer without issue. (Of course it was 5 Kubuntu versions behind...)

Comment

(Of course it was 5 Kubuntu versions behind...)
                      It was after 14,04 that these changes took place
                      And I think you mean 10 versions behind

On a sad note, my 12 year old HP printer just died yesterday
                      I don't actually scan or print much, I am on the same package of paper I bought back around 2014 but I feel sort of naked, similar to leaving home without my wallet or phone. I can get a new one, but can't justify the expense, even if the one I already decided I want is only 50 dollars, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        It was after 14,04 that these changes took place
                        Yep, well, there you go! I guess I can connect the printer directly to the laptop [if there's some reason that's necessary], but I'd prefer the old way. Of course, I've been thinking about replacing the printer with a Wi-Fi printer...so that would take Samba out of the equation.

And I think you mean 10 versions behind
                        You're absolutely right! I was thinking in terms of years. Oh well!

On a sad note, my 12 year old HP printer just died yesterday
                        I don't actually scan or print much, I am on the same package of paper I bought back around 2014 but I feel sort of naked, similar to leaving home without my wallet or phone. I can get a new one, but can't justify the expense, even if the one I already decided I want is only 50 dollars, lol!
                        Oh, I hope it's resting in peace.

I'm right there with you on the rarity of using my printer. My pack of paper is at least as old as yours. I can't even remember the last time I scanned or copied anything... I did need to print something a few weeks ago; luckily, I had a sealed, new set of ink cartridges--because the ones in the printer were as dry as the Mojave Desert!

Comment

Working...
                        X