Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
    Have you got cifs-utils installed?
    Yes, thank you. I had already installed it, along with anything and everything I could find that looked likely...but I'm still not there.

I used KRDC to view the Compaq from the laptop, and I looked at various settings on it. One thing I found straight away was this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_shares-admin_112519_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	303.1 KB
ID:	644416

which is where I set its share name, shared directory, etc. I looked at its actual command:

Name:	tmp_shares-admin_112519.jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	644417

and saw shares-admin, which I immediately looked for on the laptop, but couldn't find. I searched through Synaptic looking for anything that may have replaced that, but found nothing.

So this is where I am now. In Dolphin:

Name:	tmp_networking_112519_1.jpg
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	644418

selecting Shared Folders (SMB) I get this:

Name:	tmp_networking_112519_2.jpg
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	644419

selecting Workgroup I get this:

Name:	tmp_networking_112519_3.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	644420

selecting Compaq:

[continued in next post--can't add more than 5 images]
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

[continued from previous post]

selecting Compaq I get this:

Name:	tmp_networking_112519_4.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	644421

and, finally, selecting compaqAll I get the full contents of the Compaq:

Name:	tmp_networking_112519_5.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	644422

So the laptop sees it, connects to it via various methods (KRDC,SMB in Dolphin), but I cannot mount it. When I try, I get:

Code:
      root@System76:~# mount.cifs //192.168.1.108/compaqAll /mnt/compaq -o username=myname password=mypasswd
      Password for myname@//192.168.1.108/compaqAll:  ********
      mount error(2): No such file or directory
      Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)
      and:

Code:
      root@System76:~# mount -a
      mount error(2): No such file or directory
      Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)
      I copied the fstab from the Compaq and made every setting in the laptop's identical, with the exception, obviously, of mounting the Compaq, not the System76. I'm stuck.
      Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Nov 25, 2019, 07:03 PM.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
        Hello?! Is anyone still reading this post? I've already created a million threads in the past two weeks or so, and thought I could avoid that for every little tweak by dumping them here. Help!
        Hi, there's no harm in opening new threads with descriptive titles. That way, a specific thread may end up being more useful for someone with the same issue. I think a thread dealing with many issues, while possibly convenient to the person starting the thread, may not be that helpful to others.
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Could be this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1162...e-or-directory
          (At least could help to narrow down the problem, that link was just one of the results found from a search "cifs mount mount error(2): No such file or directory"...plenty of results and a good place to start)

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
            Hi, there's no harm in opening new threads with descriptive titles. That way, a specific thread may end up being more useful for someone with the same issue. I think a thread dealing with many issues, while possibly convenient to the person starting the thread, may not be that helpful to others.
            Yes, you're making a very good point.

I just felt like I was being a thread-hog!

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
              (At least could help to narrow down the problem, that link was just one of the results found from a search "cifs mount mount error(2): No such file or directory"...plenty of results and a good place to start)
              Thanks. I did finally read what the error message referenced, but it didn't help.

I just glanced at your link, but as I'm not at that computer right now, I can't test it.

I know I've missed something...and it actually gets weirder than described so far.

Yesterday in Dolphin, logged in as root, I right-clicked on data (which is my partition, /data) and used its 'properties' tabs to share it. I gave full control to me (my normal user account). There was no opportunity to require, or supply, a password. I repeated the process on / and then logged out.

Later, on my Android phone, I opened one of my apps--that's historically been flaky about connecting to my computers. But guess what? It not only saw both system76All (the share name I'd given /) and data:

Name:	Screenshot_20191126-180711.jpg
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	644424

it OPENED THEM with no credentials required!:

Name:	Screenshot_20191126-180903.jpg
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	644425

Full read/write access to the entire hard drive. But...when I tried numerous other apps--that consistently, reliably connect to my computers--they all saw the laptop:

Name:	Screenshot_20191126-181824.jpg
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	644426

but not a single one could access its files. They failed in different ways. Some prompted for user/pass, but after supplying my credentials, or checking 'anonymous,' they couldn't open them. Others just kept spinning after I selected System76 (the laptop's name):

Name:	Screenshot_20191126-181847.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	644427

They see its IP address (192.168.1.123) but that's as far as I get. And I'm thoroughly confused!

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                I can't thank you enough, kubicle! The solution offered in that thread, with just a little tweaking, worked!

It said:

"Add the parameter vers=1.0 or maybe vers=2.0 to your list and see if you can connect:"
                Code:
                mount -t cifs -o user=myuser,vers=1.0 //myserver/myshare /home/user/myserver/myshare/
                but I used:
                Code:
                mount -t cifs -o user=myname,vers=1.0 //192.168.1.108/compaqAll /mnt/compaq
                and was then prompted for its password, which I supplied, and immediately could [once again!] see the contents of /mnt/compaq.

Now I just need to adjust /etc/fstab and all will be back to normal...well, as far as this issue goes!

Thank you!

Comment

Thanks for all the help in this thread. I'm marking it 'solved' because all but one of the issues in it have basically been solved! I don't, and won't, like Spectacle's stupid naming choices, but since that's how it is, there's nothing else to be done here with that. I will make a new thread, with newly-found info, for #4.

Comment

Working...
                  X