Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fingerprint in Lock Screen, NOT Login Screen?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Fingerprint in Lock Screen, NOT Login Screen?

Hi, I recently installed Kubuntu 18.04 on a HP ProBook 450 G2 laptop, which happens to have a Fingerprint reader, more specifically:
    Code:
    Validity Sensors, Inc. VFS495 Fingerprint Reader
    With some effort, I managed to set up a fingerprint to use with 'sudo' commands, and also at the login screen. Plasma doesn't seems to have fingerprint integration, and I'm fine with that. For example, for finger scan at login, I have to press 'Enter' with a blank password to begin the scan process, without any messages on screen.

But the Lock Screen behaviour seems to be different. If I press Enter with a blank password, the system inmediately throws me a 'Invalid password' message, and the finger scan does not trigger at all.

Is there any way to get the finger scan working on the Lock Screen? At all? Maybe some config in /etc/pam.d? If not, is there an alternative Lock Screen? I tried i3lock but it doesn't convince me, apart from the fact that is not a replacement, I can trigger i3lock but it doesn't replace the lock on the system.

Thanks in advance!

Anyone? I tried editing some /etc/pam.d files, but without luck... does the plasma 5 locker use any of these files?

Thanks!

Comment

So I've been playing with the system and the pam files, and I've made some discoveries. The default Kubuntu lockscreen seems to use the binary "kcreenlocaker_greet", and this binary seems to call kcheckpass to validate the password.

I've created a kde file in /etc/pam.d directory and the file seems to be readed/triggered when I try to unlock session, but it always skip the fingerprint line I add.

Is there a way to make those binaries trigger the fprint reader? Can I replace those files by newer versions that can use the fprint reader?

Thanks!

Comment

So, sorry for the looooong delay in answering, but I finally fixed it. Turns out that kscreenlocker_greet was trying to access to /home/user/.fprint folder and that folder had root owner and group, therefore it couldn't be read and the fingerprint wasn't working with that process.

Gave my user ownership and group and fingerprint and fprint messages started working on the lockscreen!

Hope this helps someone.

Comment

That's great! My Lenovo fingerprint reader isn't supported - yet hopefully - but I'd love to have that functionality. It's a perfect use-case for the fingerprint reader.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X