This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] How to adjust window settings?

When I'm using Dolphin to copy/move things, I like to have its progress bar in the top right corner of my screen, and I want it stretched to the mid-point of Dolphin, as in:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_Dolphin_progress_bar_111019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	649531

But I haven't hit on how to make that--and ONLY that--window maintain its size/position using these settings:

Name:	tmp_Dolphin_progress_bar_111019_1.jpg
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	649532

I've tried "Special Window Settings" and "Special Application Settings," but I always end up affecting -other- Dolphin windows, and I don't want to. Can someone give me the magical formula to making Dolphin's progress bar retain its size and position, permanently, without affecting any other child windows?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

what version of Kubuntu are you using ? , that looks a tad old to me ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny, a 'tad' old is quite the understatement! It's 14.04.

I finally feel well enough to spend time each day doing long-neglected things. My /home partition--which isn't even used for storing media files--on my daily driver hit 100% disk usage a few days ago! I'm now preparing to do a clean install of 19.04 on it, so I'm backing up data ahead of doing that.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Do note, if you are not already aware, that most if not all KDE 4 settings will not transfer to Plasma 5. They are in different locations, and probably not compatible with the new stuff even if they are moved to the new places. They are not imported, either.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Do note, if you are not already aware, that most if not all KDE 4 settings will not transfer to Plasma 5. They are in different locations, and probably not compatible with the new stuff even if they are moved to the new places. They are not imported, either.
          Will I be able to use my beautiful icons and themes I've accumulated over the years? I don't mind stepping through setting everything up, in fact, I rather enjoy it. But I do hope to be able to replicate my preferred look, which you can get an idea of from my screenshots above. The glossy, glassy look that I like so much, I won't lose that, will I?

And, by the way, does anyone have any input on my OP? I'm copying/moving bazillions of files, and I really want Dolphin's status bar to stay put!

Comment

Icons, most likely yes, as these are not usually desktop-specific, and have standard locations for things.
            Desktop themes and Application Styles, these may be touch and go, some may work, but some do not, or not fully, and most seem to not have been updated to Plasma 5 by their creators. It will be a trial and error thing. There seems to be many more themes for Plasma 5, but there may not be many that have the same looks that KDE 4 ones did, and it seems that half of them are the trendy 'dark' themes that are so popular, but imo many have issues that make usability an issue in some setups.

Browse around https://store.kde.org
            And search for the names of your themes to see if there are any comments or updates for them.
            You have what seem to be Oxygen and/or Air based desktop themes and application styles, and there should be a number of variants available for Plasma 5.
            There are now new Global Themes that combine all the different elements to have a complete package, some even including icons and login screen themes, etc, which may help a little, but each element can be set individually in the same ways it is done in KDE 4.

Comment

As to your OP, have you used the 'detect window properties" in the Window Matching' section?

Not sure how to set the poisiton for the file download dialog, as I can't recall how to get that - it is done in the systray in the notifications, separate from Dolphin. You can configure the location in Plasma 5.17, but not the size as far as I can tell. You can get the old style dialog box (I think) , but I have to go and look to see if it is possible or not, the info I find is outdated, so i can't get the window to see how it might be configured to do what you want.

Also - another note - 19.04 is EOL in December, so 19.10 is the better choice at the moment.

Comment

In Plasma 5, copy progress windows are in notifications, just above the panel, not within Dolphin itself.
                They tend to stay there.

Name:	copy.png
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	644369

Notice also the progress icon on the left, with the (1), meaning (1) job running.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Claydoh. I didn't anticipate a problem with icons, really, because I assumed they'd still be the same sizes, just perhaps stored in different locations. As long as I can use my lovely blue ones, that I've had for a million years, I'll be happy.

As to your OP, have you used the 'detect window properties" in the Window Matching' section?
                  No, I don't believe I ever had. Until now, but I haven't gotten it figured out yet.

Also - another note - 19.04 is EOL in December, so 19.10 is the better choice at the moment.
                  So what's the most recent LTS? 18.04? I don't suppose it matters, because I'm so very bad about upgrading, it'll probably be another 5 years before I do this again!

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                    In Plasma 5, copy progress windows are in notifications, just above the panel, not within Dolphin itself.
                    They tend to stay there.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8364[/ATTACH]

Notice also the progress icon on the left, with the (1), meaning (1) job running.
                    Thanks, Don B, but you see...I'm still on 14.04!

Comment

Yeah, well, K14.04 was the bestest ever.
                      But I took it to mean that you were considering moving up in the world...

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                        Yeah, well, K14.04 was the bestest ever.
                        But I took it to mean that you were considering moving up in the world...
                        Heh heh heh... yes, moving up indeed! In the virtual world anyway. (Though I have nothing to complain about in terms of my place in the real world.)

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                          Thanks for the info, Claydoh. I didn't anticipate a problem with icons, really, because I assumed they'd still be the same sizes, just perhaps stored in different locations. As long as I can use my lovely blue ones, that I've had for a million years, I'll be happy.

No, I don't believe I ever had. Until now, but I haven't gotten it figured out yet.

So what's the most recent LTS? 18.04? I don't suppose it matters, because I'm so very bad about upgrading, it'll probably be another 5 years before I do this again!
                          Correct, 18.04 is the latest LTS (supported until 2021), with the next being 20.04, which is not all that far away, and next in line after the current release - 19.10
                          In any case, I think you will find any Plasma 5 version a bit smoother and a lot lighter on resources than KDE 4, so assuming you have 2014 era hardware, this should be a benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                            Correct, 18.04 is the latest LTS (supported until 2021), with the next being 20.04, which is not all that far away, and next in line after the current release - 19.10
                            Here's my plan [as it stands at this precise moment and is subject to change]: I've downloaded 19.10 and intend to install it. I'm still not done backing up everything, so I don't know yet when this will happen, but soon.

In any case, I think you will find any Plasma 5 version a bit smoother and a lot lighter on resources than KDE 4, so assuming you have 2014 era hardware, this should be a benefit.
                            Yes, I do have a 2014 System76 Kudu Professional, which I love. They discontinued it, however, and I have to admit I've been thinking...just thinking about getting a System76 Gazelle, 17.3" like my Kudu. I can NOT justify its cost, though, so I don't know where this will end up. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Kudu and if, as you and others have told me, newer versions of Kubuntu are actually less resource-greedy than prior versions, I should be fine with 19.10. But I'm sure everyone here knows that feeling you get when you just want a new computer...

Comment

If it's any help, I've had that feeling for years, and I've still got my 2011 box with a 2014 mobo and 4 more gigs of RAM for a grand total of 8. Oh, and a new SSD, which does make quite a difference.

Name:	_nonso.gif
Views:	5
Size:	275 Bytes
ID:	644371

Comment

Working...
                              X