This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
    If it's any help, I've had that feeling for years, and I've still got my 2011 box with a 2014 mobo and 4 more gigs of RAM for a grand total of 8. Oh, and a new SSD, which does make quite a difference.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]8366[/ATTACH]
    Ha ha, yes, it helps!

Just FYI, my two remaining desktops are ≈12 and ≈14 years old. The older one hasn't actually been on for awhile now--it went out during a power outage, and I haven't needed to access its files, so I haven't bothered turning it on. The younger one has been happily cranking away, between power outages, with no downtime. When they die, I don't plan to replace them.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

you say you do not plan on doing another upgrade for 5 years so if your going to do it now , you should do the 18.04-LTS as it's supported till 2021

the one you are on now is no longer supported.

that said I still have a 14.04 install on this box , but do not boot it much any more.

PS: I also loved those folder icons

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You're slightly misquoting me, Vinny!

you say you do not plan on doing another upgrade for 5 years so if your going to do it now
        See, there's no actual plan involved! It just may work out that way. I used to upgrade, like clockwork, every new version, I was right on it. And then life happened. Now, it's like I tell my computers, as long as you're going to keep cranking away with your current version, hey, who am I to stop you?!

I'm almost done backing everything up, and I made sure my beautiful icons are safely stored for future use. @Claydoh mentioned the 'dark' theme hysteria that's sweeping the tech world these days...and I, for one, am not a fan. So I intend to make my 19.10 desktop look as much like my 14.04 as possible.

As for using 18.04LTS instead, I thought about it, but have never been one to worry about such things as support dates, so I'm going to give 19.10 a whirl and then...maybe...perhaps...when the next [stable] version comes along, I'll upgrade to it! Stay tuned...
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I'd suggest 18.04 for one reason: web browser updates, assuming Firefox is used.
          While Kubuntu is only a three-year LTS, this is only in terms of Plasma. The rest of the OS outside the desktop bits is still Ubuntu, so there is a 5-year lifespan, which would include Firefox, and of course security fixes to the kernel and other core components. If you even think you might not upgrade for a long time again, LTS is arguably the better choice.
          The Ubuntu part of 14.04 was supported until this past April.

Comment

I'd suggest 18.04 for one reason: web browser updates, assuming Firefox is used.
            It's not. SeaMonkey has been my browser and e-mail client since its days as Netscape Communicator!

I'm almost ready to dive in and start the upgrade. I normally retain my /home and /data partitions, only wiping / when upgrading, but this time I'm going to wipe the whole shebang. I want a clean slate! Then I'm going to selectively populate it. I'm not actually OCD, but I do have some of its tendencies, therefore I've made complete backups on two external drives and Dropbox, you know, just to be sure I don't lose anything important.

Comment

I'm marking this solved as it's now irrelevant. (I upgraded to 19.10 and its behavior is different.)

Comment

Working...
              X