Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VLC only launching from terminal, can't open video files from the file manager.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VLC only launching from terminal, can't open video files from the file manager.

Hello! New here but I couldn't find an answer to the problem I have anywhere else.

I've recently been having problems with VLC which I use as my main media player for video files. When I go to launch a video file from the file manager VLC will not start up. Even thou it showed the little VLC icon next to the mouse as it loaded it never came up. I tried launching it from the menu but it didn't work either. I can only get it to launch via the terminal. So I tried opening a video file from the terminal with vlc. This caused an error that told me to check the logs (which was a hole other issue trying to find VLC's logs) but when I finally got a log file it told me the error was a filesystem error. And that the video file didn't exist. That makes no sense, I know it exist. I can even open it in VLC when I launch VLC from the terminal and then open the file from it's menu.

It's really annoying having to use VLC this way. I wish it would just launch when I click on the video file or when I click on it in the menu or my dock. It use to be that way on my system but it recently broke and became like it is now.

I've heard that I need to install browser-plugin-vlc
    Code:
     sudo apt install browser-plugin-vlc
    but it didn't have an installation candidate.
    I'm kinda at a lost right now as to what I should do, that's why I'm here with the hope to get some help.

Cheers!

check your menu entry (right click the menu icon and click "edit applications") and see if it looks like this
    Code:
    /usr/bin/vlc --started-from-file %U
    VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hello!

Sorry for the late reply, I have been out and my internet has not been reliable.
      I should've been more clear, I have the "search" menu. Not the application menu. But I added a application menu to check and yes VLC does have that code. It still doesn't launch normally from the menu. I have to use the terminal. And I can open files from my file manager in VLC, I have to start VLC in the terminal and then open the file from the program.

Comment

what file system are you using ?

you are talking about dolphin as your file manager , correct (should not matter) ?

is your system fully up to date , browser-plugin-vlc is available on my system (18.04) but not necessary for what your trying to do at all.

run this in a konsole
        Code:
        sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
        any errors post them in code tags (the # button above the text input field)

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
        X