This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion for future probably 20.04

Not sure where suggestions for Kubuntu should go so a moderator or admin can move it.

A link to Google calendar such that you can add schedules to your calander from the clock plasmoid in the klipper at the right - unless you moved it from default-.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Cool idea!

Also, for those of us who use Thunderbird/Lightning, there is an addon for two way update/connection with Google calendars.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

You might want to look at this widget I just found :
      https://store.kde.org/p/998901/

You don't have to wait for a new Plasma or Kubuntu release
      It can replace your stock calendar widget (right-click on the calendar, and select 'Alternatives' once it is installed)
      This has many features and bells an\d whistles (which can be turned off/on), which I do usually stay away from, but this one has many I like. It does have a minor oddity, in that double clicking the calendar opens Google calendar in a web page, while single clicking the day on the sidebar weekly calendar does a quick-add from the widget. Single-clicking on the calendar moves the sidebar to the week corresponding to the date selected.

I do like the integrated weather there, as I don't like separate weather widgets we have, and this one stays nicely out of view unless I click on the calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

You don't have to wait for a new Plasma or Kubuntu release
        It can replace your stock calendar widget (right-click on the calendar, and select 'Alternatives' once it is installed)
        This has many features and bells an\d whistles (which can be turned off/on), which I do usually stay away from, but this one has many I like. It does have a minor oddity, in that double clicking the calendar opens Google calendar in a web page, while single clicking the day on the sidebar weekly calendar does a quick-add from the widget. Single-clicking on the calendar moves the sidebar to the week corresponding to the date selected.

I do like the integrated weather there, as I don't like separate weather widgets we have, and this one stays nicely out of view unless I click on the calendar.
        Yup. I've been using this one for quite awhile now and I'm satisfied

Please Read Me

Comment

Running 18.04 here. Tried the install from the webpage for OCS, which is required to run the calendar plasmoid. It died with a msg saying it couldn't read the address. The address it was trying to use began with "ocs://...".
          Without OCS the calendar plasmoid failed to install. I downloaded the Debian version of OSC and installed it using QtPackageKit. The calendar plasmoid still did not install from the webpage, so I downloaded it and installed it by having the widget tool look for it in the Downloads directory. When I scrolled the widgets list it did not appear. So, I used "cal" in the widget search tool and two calendar entries appeared, one being the new plasmoid, which also showed it had been installed even though during the web install procedure gave a "can't find that address" error.

Once I got that straightened out it the plasmoid behaved as you described. So now, I can click on the Calendar icon in the Chromium toolbar, ditto for FireFox, or I can click on the Time icon in ,my system tray to bring up the webpage showing my Google Calendar. Nice find! Thanks!

This is an essential tool for me because I used the Google Calendar on my Android phone to keep track of my wife's Dr appointments, her INR testing dates, and various other events in our lives. It is nice that we are linked across both her iPhone my Android phone and our laptops running 18.04.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Nov 07, 2019, 02:00 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I just used the Get New Widgets tool in System Settings, which is where I found it, It can also be installed (and thus updated) using Discover.
            You can also install the downloaded file using the widget installer tool in System Settings. No need to faff with the ocs junk.

Comment

Couldn't find a "Get New Widgets" in System Settings but I did find "Plasma Search". Didn't know that was there. However, when I search for "calendar" it shows nothing. All selections are checked.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Umm...yeah, widgets are not handled in System Settings, like themes, colors, etc. Ooops, and sorry. Was setting up my new install after my SSD died

So....
                From the Add Widgets dialog, you click Get New Widgets, where you can choose "Download New Widgets" or "install from file", same as it has always been since the KDE 4 days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191107_154659.png
Views:	1
Size:	381.6 KB
ID:	644365

Name:	Screenshot_20191107_154821.jpg
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	644366

Name:	Screenshot_20191107_154915.png
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	644367

Comment

The event calendar doesn't do anything. It only displays the month. Doesn't show appointments or let you enter one. It seems to be a broken plasmoid. Kubuntu 19.10.
                  Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Did you switch to it?
                    Right-click on the clock/calendar, and select 'alternatives', as I mentioned in my first post.

Comment

Did you switch to it?
                      Right-click on the clock/calendar, and select 'alternatives', as I mentioned in my first post.
                      Did that already could there be missing dependencies? Ubuntu core 19.10 is new maybe something got deprecated or otherwise removed? I think the plasmoid is compatible with 16.04 so maybe it's not working in 19.10?

Comment

Works for me on my 19.10 system, which is a mildly customized Minimal install, just theming and Steam.

Comment

There are two options to install, which I forgot. You want to install the 5.12 variant, and not the 5.6, as mentioned (sort of, rather) on the web page.

Comment

There are two options to install, which I forgot. You want to install the 5.12 variant, and not the 5.6, as mentioned (sort of, rather) on the web page.
                            Still doesn't work.

Comment

Is there anyway to remove a plasmoid? Maybe it got the wrong version and can't update it.

Comment

Working...
                              X