Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems using hotkeys to switch directionally between Virtual Desktops.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Problems using hotkeys to switch directionally between Virtual Desktops.

Hi there,

I'm a new user to Kubuntu and a somewhat intermediate user at Linux.

I'm currently using 19.10 (5.3.0-19-generic) and having problems with hotkeys that I have setup in Settings -> Global Shortcuts -> Kwin.

Specifically, I am trying to setup "Switch One Desktop <insert direction>" and its just not responding at all.

Post-install I ran a full system update to ensure I had all the latest packages and repositories.

I am using a Apple Aluminum Keyboard set as Keyboard Model "Apple | Apple Aluminum (ANSI)" and I have the following 'Advanced' options enabled:

Alt/Win key behaviour - "Left Alt is swapped with Left Win"
    Miscellaneous compatibility options - "Apple Aluminum: emulate PC keys (PrtSc, Scroll Lock, Pause, Num Lock)" & "Special Keys (Ctrl + Alt + <key>) handled in server."

Then I followed this guide: https://blog.mazdermind.de/2018/06/0...nux/index.html

Here are my changes:

Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]$ cat /etc/modprobe.d/hid_apple.conf[/COLOR]
    options hid_apple fnmode=2 iso_layout=0 swap_opt_cmd=0

[/FONT]
    My keyboard operates exactly like Windows Keyboard now which is what I wanted since I use Windows at home and Linux at work.

After doing this, I begun the configuration of my Virtual Desktop shortcuts. For reference, my Virtual Desktop is setup with 2x rower with 2x desktops on each.

Here is my shortcut setup:

Switch One Desktop Down - Ctrl + Alt + Down
    Switch One Desktop to the Left - Ctrl + Alt + Left
    Switch One Desktop to the Right - Ctrl + Alt + Right
    Switch One Desktop UP - Ctrl + Alt + Up

I've also tried:

Switch One Desktop Down - Ctrl + Meta + Down
    Switch One Desktop to the Left - Ctrl + Meta + Left
    Switch One Desktop to the Right - Ctrl + Meta + Right
    Switch One Desktop UP - Ctrl + Meta + Up

My KDE version is 5.16.5 with a framework version of 5.62.0 and a QT version of 5.12.4

I've spent the better part of 2 days scouring Google and these forums trying to figure this out and I can't seem to work it out. When I was using Manjaro previously this was not an issue so not really sure what's gone wrong.

If you need any more information I will happy to supply if provided decent instruction.

Any assistance that can be provided would greatly be appreciated.

no one?

Comment

Originally posted by bazwalt View Post
      For reference, my Virtual Desktop is setup with 2x rower with 2x desktops on each.
      That's my virtual desktop arrangement. I have Kubuntu on a PC with a USB connected keyboard. I use the "Desktop Cube Animation" desktop effect. I've no idea what your hardware is (other than the mention of the word that indicates evil "Apple"), or how it affects this.
      Here is my shortcut setup:

Switch One Desktop Down - Ctrl + Alt + Down
      Switch One Desktop to the Left - Ctrl + Alt + Left
      Switch One Desktop to the Right - Ctrl + Alt + Right
      Switch One Desktop UP - Ctrl + Alt + Up
      I didn't know kwin could do that, IMO it's very good. I last looked at the shortcuts a long time ago, I suppose. I've entered these in global-shortcuts->kwin and they work well.

My KDE version is 5.16.5 with a framework version of 5.62.0 and a QT version of 5.12.4
      Matches mine.

If I use the EurKEY layout, the right-alt gets me a æåëýþÿ layout and doesn't work for the desktop switching, but the left alt does. Maybe a close look at the options in system settings, hardware, input devices, keyboard, advanced tab might turn up something.

You might also check with a "vanilla" user; add a new user to get a completely default KDE configuration, and see if the shortcuts work for that user. If they do, there's something in your home directory that stops them working. In that case it's tedious to track it down, logging in and out a lot, but doable.

HTH,
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        That's my virtual desktop arrangement. I have Kubuntu on a PC with a USB connected keyboard. I use the "Desktop Cube Animation" desktop effect. I've no idea what your hardware is (other than the mention of the word that indicates evil "Apple"), or how it affects this.

I didn't know kwin could do that, IMO it's very good. I last looked at the shortcuts a long time ago, I suppose. I've entered these in global-shortcuts->kwin and they work well.

Matches mine.

If I use the EurKEY layout, the right-alt gets me a æåëýþÿ layout and doesn't work for the desktop switching, but the left alt does. Maybe a close look at the options in system settings, hardware, input devices, keyboard, advanced tab might turn up something.

You might also check with a "vanilla" user; add a new user to get a completely default KDE configuration, and see if the shortcuts work for that user. If they do, there's something in your home directory that stops them working. In that case it's tedious to track it down, logging in and out a lot, but doable.

HTH,
        Yea, I've tried changing/playing with the keyboard model in System Settings and tinkering with the advanced options too. Nothing seems to work.

Comment

No one has any other ideas / suggestions?

Comment

Hi
            I do not use "virtual desktops" anymore I use "activities".

However there is common mistake that I...ME...WOODSMOKE made when I first got into all this ...I was "doing the commands" in virtual desktops instead of activities is there any chance that you are actually putting the commands into activities?

I use settings / workspace / desktop behavior activities or virtual desktops. There are two obvious differences in how to add the activity or virtual desktop and then the hot keys. And that is why i just use the settings way of adding things.

However, I would mention one other thing. I have never needed more than TWO keys to change activities.

And one does not need to use any kind of "real" thing in terms of keys that "relate" to what one is wanting.

I just used like...don't remember... Ctrl + W for the wordprocessing activity

so it might be all of the extra things that are being entered just are not recognized by the OS. Just a thought.

woodsmoke

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
            X