Ubuntu Gnome faster why under hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu Gnome faster why under hood

If a moderator wants to move this please feel free.

It is about the Gnome desktop but discusses the "under the hood" "why" of the GNOME version seeming to be so fast, apparently bugs in "latency etc"..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev.../#58cc26363f52

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

I "think" that since we use Ubuntus Xorg we should be seeing those improvements as well .

but I could be wrong .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I don't think you are wrong, VINNY!
      I'm testing a virtual Kubuntu 20.04 and KDE Neon in VB. Their KDE desktops screeem! Especially Neon. I can't wait till I put Kubuntu 20.04 onto my SSD with BTRFS.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

This computer uses some really old HD technology so I can't see much speed on this rig. I have another computer with an SSD on it and I can see these things on that one but it is has low PSU so it can't do much. I will buy a new rig later this year or next year and it will have all new tech and lots of SSD space/PSU power. It will be a roll your own desktop. I also plan to replace my netbook - ASUS EEE 901 from a lot of years ago- and my notebook - about 2012 - so to old for modern versions of Kubuntu. My netbook can't even do 64 bit just 32 bit OS. Have to use Lbuntu 32 bit on that one. My laptop has a broken charger so kind of like a mobil that's not a Mobil. Lol.
        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

steve7233, the laptop I am typing on right now is a 2012 Acer V3 771G 17" with an i7 CPU. It started life with 8GB of RAM and a 750GB WD spinner. Slow is an understatement. Then, my secondary GPU, an NVidia GT 650 GT, which cannot be set as the prime video in the BIOS, failed miserably with Optimus and BumbleBee, worked beautifully is the prime GPU at boot up with the newer NVidia drivers (340 and on). I upgraded it to 16GB of RAM and speed for larger and graphical apps improved. Then, oshunlover gave me an SSD he had laying around and suddenly this old horse began to whinny! Cold boot dropped from just under 3 minutes to 30 seconds. I was concerned about this hardware falling out of the compatibility window that catches all computers sooner or later. Fortunately, when I tested a LiveUSB of Kubuntu 20.04 alpha it booted and ran fine. Once the 30 second boot to the DE wasa complete it was more than fine, it screeeemed! And that is without the NVidia GPU. It was just using Intell's 3000HD.

I was stunned! KDE Neon's LiveUSB boot up time is 8 seconds, but I'm staying with Kubuntu because the older I get the less I know, and I've forgotten too much about Linux and Kubuntu as it is.

I plan to use 20.04 as soon as it is released and stay with it for 5 years or longer. Hopefully, none of the components on this laptop will drift out of specs and affect its behavior.

On the other hand, my wife's 2010 Acer Aspire AD0521 netbook is running Kubuntu 18.04. It's going to stay with that release until it won't run.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi folks,

This thread has a lot more "legs" than I thought that it would have and with nice information!
            If anyone else wants to contribute, please feel free!
            woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
            X