• Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Need more swap

I need more swap space, the 1 GB is not enough for me:

System:
    Encrypted SSD : YES, via the method provided in installation process
    RAM: 16 GB
    SWAP: 1GB

I take a look into /etc/fstab to eventually enlarge the swap file but I didn't come with a solution and I can't take risks since this is my work PC. I'm not sure if there is swap file or swap partition in use.

Show us your /etc/fstab file.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

When you get to it; this probably holds your answer:https://askubuntu.com/questions/1009...ting-swap-file

If you're using a swap partition you would probably already know it because you would have had to create one. The install defaults to a swap file starting in 16.04 (I think).

Please Read Me

Comment

This is my /etc/fstab file:

Code:
        # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
        #
        # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
        # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
        # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
        #
        # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
        /dev/mapper/kubuntu--vg-root /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
        # /boot was on /dev/sda1 during installation
        UUID=5689ed1a-ad80-4bcf-9435-f08191ef5c7f /boot           ext4    defaults        0       2
        /dev/mapper/kubuntu--vg-swap_1 none            swap    sw              0       0
        I guess it is a swap file but.. configuration looks different on encrypted drive, even the partition scheme with KPart looks a bit strange for me.

Comment

This has been reported as a bug but the DEV says "Won't Fix".

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...o/+bug/1767299

For some reason he/she/they decided 1GB was enough despite the cries of protest. You will have to find instructions (I couldn't) on how to create a new encrypted swap file. Apparently there's a way to make the installer use a larger size but it's hidden in the code.

Yet another reason to use a swap partition instead of a swap file. At least you have control over the size of it. Good luck with your search.

Please Read Me

Comment

With the full disk encryption, modifying or adding swap files should work using the standard methods.
            I added swap to mine, but I can't recall if I added an extra file, or created a larger one to replace the original. My encrypted Neon laptop's SSD died a few days ago, so I cannot check. (my first one to do so, and of course it was my newest one )

Comment

I did it! My PC feels smoother now.

- I was folowing the link provided above (:https://askubuntu.com/questions/1009...ting-swap-file), and the links inside that thread... etc.

- I find out that you can have multiple swap files, multiple swap partitions or combination of both.

- The easiest way was to create new swap file and append it to the /etc/fstab to be permannent.

Here are the commands:
              sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile2 bs=1M count=12288 #makes a 12GB file
              sudo chmod 600 /swapfile2 #set permission to root only
              sudo mkswap /swapfile2 #converts file to swap format
              sudo swapon /swapfile2 #enable swap on the file.
              echo '/swapfile2 none swap sw 0 0' | sudo tee -a /etc/fstab #make it permannent

Thank You All.

Comment

Working...
              X