backports quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backports quality

I'm on Ubuntu 19.10 with repo "ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports" enabled, to use plasma 5.17.

1) Does backport mean worse stability than if it were in main repos, or is it barely the same?

2) Has backport the same significance in Ubuntu than in Debian or do they differ regarding stability, release schedules, architecture availability, etc?

I'm afraid of having issues for being an early adopter.

See https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...untu/backports and read the description, which includes a comment on the updates PPA instead.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Kubuntu's PPAs are official repositories maintained and supported by the team.

The reason we have them is that Ubuntu is very strict about what goes into the standard repos. Usually new major versions are not allowed.

As KDE release updates fairly regularly, we need to use PPAs in order to provide users with new stuff.

As these are packaged by the Ubuntu devs they have the same quality as what is in the stock repos.

The term "backports" is definitely confusing as the term is used in official Ubuntu and Debian repos as an optional, special component.

In Kubuntu's backports pap (unrelated to the Ubuntu-backports), new major releases are "backported" from the current pre-release, upcoming version of Kubuntu to the current version.

The kubuntu updates ppa is usually for minor Plasma version updates, mainly for the LTS release, though there can be things for the current non-LTS there.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

I should add to that, that the backport PPA recieves earlier point releases than we would consider shipping in the main repos for a release. e.g. say Plasma 5.17.0, 5.17.1, 5.17.2, etc, whereas in the main repos we would normally only ship with a release that has had more rounds upstream of bugfixes, such as 5.17.4/5. So there are likely to be more upstream or packaging bugs compared to the case of waiting and using what is shipped with the next Kubuntu release. Obviously over time the backports PPA gets more bugfix releases, so better approximates the stability of archive releases.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          See https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...untu/backports and read the description, which includes a comment on the updates PPA instead.
          Thank you. It's a simple, painless process and gives you access to the latest software.

Mick
          "Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas."
          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by mick.kde View Post
            Thank you. It's a simple, painless process and gives you access to the latest software.

Mick
            Thanks for the great topic. Currently I have backports enabled and works flawslessly. Wanted to ask what happens once I am ready to upgrade to 20.04. Will I have to uninstall backports before upgrading to the next version of Kubuntu, or will a system upgrad be unaffected by backports?

Comment

Originally posted by simonsaysthis View Post
              Thanks for the great topic. Currently I have backports enabled and works flawslessly. Wanted to ask what happens once I am ready to upgrade to 20.04. Will I have to uninstall backports before upgrading to the next version of Kubuntu, or will a system upgrad be unaffected by backports?
              Everything in the backports PPA is backported from the 20.04 version, but with the version string appended with ~ubuntu20.04. The ~ makes all those versions LESS than the version in the 20.04 main archive. Hence, in theory, you should be able to upgrade all the packages to the 20.04 main archive ones without issue.

If you want to be super cautious you can ppa-purge the backports PPA 1st, to restore to the stock versions of everything.
              On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                Everything in the backports PPA is backported from the 20.04 version, but with the version string appended with ~ubuntu20.04. The ~ makes all those versions LESS than the version in the 20.04 main archive. Hence, in theory, you should be able to upgrade all the packages to the 20.04 main archive ones without issue.

If you want to be super cautious you can ppa-purge the backports PPA 1st, to restore to the stock versions of everything.
                Thanks for the clarification. I love the fact that you can purge the backports if all else fails

Comment

Originally posted by simonsaysthis View Post

When upgrading to a new release, all PPAs are disabled by the upgrader. It lets you know that it has done so. I have never had issues with any Kubuntu PPAs over many, many years now. These are run by the Kubuntu team, and there is actually some testing by users just for this.

Even with random other PPAs, I cannot recall having upgrade issues due to a wonky one. Surprising, really.

Comment

Nice topic, interesting read
                    kubuntu 20.10

Comment

Working...
                    X