X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Dolphin is a hungry fish

I cannot work.

When I have dolphin open for a longer period of time it starts eating into my RAM anf finally locking plasma completely. It get worse faster when open in conjunction with FF 70 and LO 6.3.

any ideas please.
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Are you certain the culprit it Dolphin? Does the same issue occur running FF 70 and LO 6.3 only, or either one by themselves?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I assume that you are using HTOP or Ksysguard to watch the memory consumption?

BTW, a Dolphin is an air breathing mammal that suckles its young.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

BTW, a Dolphin is an air breathing mammal that suckles its young.
        BUT they are very hungry .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

i have 2 to 3 dolphin windows open at all times and have never seen this behavior. that said you sure you didn't accidentally tie some service to dolphin and it's the actual culprit?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Are you certain the culprit it Dolphin? Does the same issue occur running FF 70 and LO 6.3 only, or either one by themselves?
            Yes, when I shut down dolphin everything goes back to normal. Temp, cpu, etc.
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Grave Digger View Post
              i have 2 to 3 dolphin windows open at all times and have never seen this behavior. that said you sure you didn't accidentally tie some service to dolphin and it's the actual culprit?
              Hmmm...The only service I have tied to dolphin is drop box.
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

is there anything in the os that will log the memory and cpu usage? this way you can perform the actions that usually cause your resources to be eaten up and then go back and review the logs to see what's going on. at this point i'm thinking it's simply one or more bad files that are part of or associated with dolphin.

grey is right you should at least be monitoring the usage via ksysguard or htop. first is already installed. htop can be installed via discover.
                Last edited by Grave Digger; Nov 04, 2019, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grave Digger View Post
                  is there anything in the os that will log the memory and cpu usage? this way you can perform the actions that usually cause your resources to be eaten up and then go back and review the logs to see what's going on. at this point i'm think it's simply one or more bad files that are part of or associated with dolphin.

gat is right you should at least be monitoring the usage via ksysguard or htop. first is already installed. htop can be installed via discover.
                  Using both. Will post some logs when I get that situation again. Thanks for the assistance all!!
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan View Post
                    Hmmm...The only service I have tied to dolphin is drop box.
                    The problem is probably your dropbox cosmic apps.

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-in...high-cpu-usage
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Turns out it is dropbox that is hungry I paused sync and dolphin is behaving again for now. Thanks for the idea!!
                      4 GB Ram
                      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                      X