This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blender eoan-universe Install faulty. But the Snap version is OK

in Kubuntu 19.10, I have a faulty Blender install from the eoan-universe version. But the Blender Snap install is OK.
    The Subdivision Surface Modifier has no effect in the faulty install and works as expected in the snap install.

Steps: Select an object. Select Modifiers, Add Modifier, Subdivision Surfaces. See the object gets immediatly smoothed.

Web searches find similar cases with other people using a different install package to solve the problem.
    E.G. https://www.reddit.com/r/blenderhelp...rking/f25v583/

I couldnt find any obvious place to report this as a bug. It doesnt seem like the fault of Blender. I couldnt find anywhere on Lauchpad. I would like to report it in the proper place. But searching didn't help.

Any help finding the right place to report this appreciated. Any change to make it more obvious to people where to report such bugs appreciated also.
    Last edited by ianp5a; Oct 27, 2019, 04:12 PM.

As blender is in the so-called 'universe' section, its package isn't actually built by Ubuntu, but is directly imported from Debian. And neither Debian or Ubuntu have the OpenSubdiv library available, as well as a few other non-Debian distros (Like OpenSuse). For whatever reason, no one has stepped in to package it for the various distros just yet, but seem to be aware aware of it, though I don't see anything about it on their bug tracker.

Someone in Debian is aware of it
    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=934148

If and when it is fixed is anyone's guess.

It looks like the new Blender has this lib as a new dependency, and no one noticed

You would have to file a bug on it in launchpad.
    The simplest way is to use the terminal to gather some info and open the Launchpad bug report website:

Code:
    ubuntu-bug blender
    Else, go go with the Snap package as Blender themselves iirc keep that up to date, including all the required libraries built-in. Or download the statically compiled tarball as offered on Blender's website.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      As blender is in the so-called 'universe' section, its package isn't actually built by Ubuntu, but is directly imported from Debian. And neither Debian or Ubuntu have the OpenSubdiv library available, as well as a few other non-Debian distros (Like OpenSuse). For whatever reason, no one has stepped in to package it for the various distros just yet, but seem to be aware aware of it, though I don't see anything about it on their bug tracker.

Someone in Debian is aware of it
      https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=934148

If and when it is fixed is anyone's guess.

It looks like the new Blender has this lib as a new dependency, and no one noticed

You would have to file a bug on it in launchpad.
      The simplest way is to use the terminal to gather some info and open the Launchpad bug report website:

Code:
      ubuntu-bug blender
      Else, go go with the Snap package as Blender themselves iirc keep that up to date, including all the required libraries built-in. Or download the statically compiled tarball as offered on Blender's website.
      Thanks. I'm happily using the snap. And It's good that Debian know about it. I didn't know to look there.

But what I really want is a clear process for bug reporting for people without the special knowledge. I'm sure many bugs just don't get reported because of that.
      A one stop shop for newbies is missing. Maybe an app in the distro. Launchpad could be that place, but there is no kubuntu project on there, nor is there an active, recent Blender project. Launchpad "Help" doesn't help here either. So a barrier to and a time sink currently.
      Last edited by ianp5a; Oct 28, 2019, 04:17 AM.

Comment

There is no kububtu project per se, it is Ubuntu, and the bug report would be filed on the Blender package that is in the Ubuntu project.

Yeah it's a little confusing as it looks like Blender itself has used Launchpad in the past for code hosting etc.

I think using the ubuntu-bug command helps by filling in some of the forms on the bug report system for you.

Unfortunately I have yet to see a bug reporting system that is user friendly and is not for a small specific piece if software.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          There is no kububtu project per se, it is Ubuntu, and the bug report would be filed on the Blender package that is in the Ubuntu project.
          Yeah it's a little confusing as it looks like Blender itself has used Launchpad in the past for code hosting etc.
          I think using the ubuntu-bug command helps by filling in some of the forms on the bug report system for you.
          Unfortunately I have yet to see a bug reporting system that is user friendly and is not for a small specific piece if software.
          Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
          Thanks. Lauchpad "Report a bug>" is taking me to a 'help' page under Ubuntu. Instead of starting a new bug. Very annoying. It's like they don't want to know.

Popey is doing a live Bug reporting presentation in a few hours. Maybe there are answers there.

Comment

bugs.bunny.org ? Click image for larger version

Name:	icon_smile_crazy.gif
Views:	7
Size:	725 Bytes
ID:	644361

Comment

Originally posted by ianp5a View Post
              Thanks. Lauchpad "Report a bug>" is taking me to a 'help' page under Ubuntu. Instead of starting a new bug. Very annoying. It's like they don't want to know.
              You have to go to the blender package page, and use the report link there: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/blender

Or do
              Code:
              ubuntu-bug blender
              on the command line
              On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

thanks for the link. Posted the bug now.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1850163
                Last edited by ianp5a; Oct 28, 2019, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Now on Alan's stream
                  On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Working...
                  X