This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Dolphin problem when copying directories

Let's get the laughing out of the way: I'm still running 14.04 on this particular laptop. I had occasion to reboot it today, for the first time in...6 months? a year? I don't know.

Immediately afterward, I resumed something I'd started yesterday. I normally use my beloved CLI for manipulating file/directory locations, but for certain tasks I use Dolphin.

For as long as I can remember, Dolphin has offered a 'write into' option when copying/moving directories/subdirectories. For example, if I'm copying /data/media/images, which is a directory containing numerous subdirectories, each containing images, to ~/Dropbox/images, I'd get a prompt. My choices included 'write into' and 'skip' and...I don't know what else, probably 'rename.' I only ever picked 'write into.'

Now, it's giving me two choices: 'skip' (which aborts the whole process) and 'rename.' I don't want either--I want to WRITE INTO. I've changed nothing. I've updated nothing. WTF happened?!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

You may have run into ownership rights on directories/files. Dolphin has been deliberately prevented from writing or creating where a root ownership is needed. Check the ownership of directories and/or files.

Many of us are still waiting for the KDE Devs to fix Dolphin, as they did for the Kate editor. Not happening yet...
    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, and I will check their permissions, but...nothing has changed in years, let alone since yesterday! The directories have existed, with unchanged permissions, for years. Out of the blue, today, Dolphin's options for how to deal with already-existing directories changed...
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Then Dolphin may have updated on your system? I'm running Kubuntu 19.04 with Dolphin 18.12.3. I've just let the normal repository updates install as they become available. I don't know which version of Dolphin had been running on your system.
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Knowing that nothing had changed--I checked Dolphin's update history, its last update was 8 months ago--I did the unthinkable...I did what window$ users do routinely...I rebooted the laptop!

And guess what? Dolphin was back to normal, with the 'write into' option I rely on heavily right back where it belongs.

Comment

Guess we'll never know the cause. Glad you're working again.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
              Knowing that nothing had changed--I checked Dolphin's update history, its last update was 8 months ago--I did the unthinkable...I did what window$ users do routinely...I rebooted the laptop!

And guess what? Dolphin was back to normal, with the 'write into' option I rely on heavily right back where it belongs.
              It is almost a certainty that an update you performed prior to this issue presenting, required a restart of the OS to complete and you missed the notification that doing so was required. Just say'n.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                Guess we'll never know the cause. Glad you're working again.
                Me too! It bugs me when I don't know -why- something happened, but for right now I'm just going to count my blessings and be done with it. If the problem reappears...

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  It is almost a certainty that an update you performed prior to this issue presenting, required a restart of the OS to complete and you missed the notification that doing so was required. Just say'n.
                  Possible...but very unlikely, for two reasons: 1) I almost never update anything and, 2) when I do, I specifically look for the little orange 'restart' icon that appears in my taskbar when a reboot is needed. However! Knowing damn well that ANYTHING is possible, your hunch could very well be right. We'll never know...

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                    We'll never know...
                    The Shadow knows!
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Indeed!

Hey, how are you doing, SH? I hope you're well and happy!

Comment

Working...
                      X