Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kate with multiple terminal instances?

Hi.

I've been using Kate as a C/C++ development tool for the last couple of weeks. I love how its terminal plug-in allows a Konsole window to be open in the client area, from which I can open multiple documents within Kate.

One thing that would make it even more useful for me is the ability to open multiple Konsole instances, either split horizontally or separated in tabs. This way, I can switch between different source/build directories without running "cd" all the time.

Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!
    Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Switching between tabs in Kate does run "cd" in the terminal, if the files are in different directories.

Also, running Kate with --new - and setting it as such in the launcher - will open new documents in separate windows, rather than tabs.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
      Switching between tabs in Kate does run "cd" in the terminal, if the files are in different directories.

Also, running Kate with --new - and setting it as such in the launcher - will open new documents in separate windows, rather than tabs.
      Thanks for the quick reply!

I just tried switching between two files in the main tab that belong to different directories. The directory in the terminal window didn't change. I then realized that I needed to check the "Automatically synchronize the terminal..." checkbox from Terminal --> Configure Behaviour. Now swiching documents also issues "cd" in the terminal.

I actually wanted to have another terminal window so I can keep my CMake build directory open and run "make" there easily instead of changing back and forth between a source directory and my build directory in one terminal. Your solution works by keeping a file from the build directory open permanently and switching to that file when I want to build. Thanks!
      Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
      Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Working...
      X