Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Monitors working anyone?

No luck here.

Only progress is if I unplug and plug in monitor via HDMI and screen will pop up asking which mode I want (dual, XOR, expanded left/right). After choosing mode monitor immediately reverts to power saving, always blank second screen.

Settings screen shows no option for second screen.

More luck here. Monitor plus HDMI cable to the TV, both are working. The settings display page looks a bit different in 19.10
    Attached Files

Comment

What graphics card are you using, and what drivers are you using for the card?

I have an NVidia GTX 1080 with 435.xx drivers, and I have zero problems with multiple displays (I have 3)

If nvidia is the answer, with prorietary drivers, try using Nvidia X Server settings to change display configurations, instead of System Settings.

Comment

Am using GT210-1GB OpenGl 3.3.0 (NVIDIA 340.107)

Comment

I have 19.10 with a GTX1080 and the only issue I have is getting BIOS to use the default monitor I want it to use as the primary monitor (to display boot messages).

Comment

@shagg00 that is totally dependent on which port that desired display is plugged into. Usually the one closest to the motherboard. (On my 1080, my DVI port displays POST, using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter)

@hallergard an out of date card... if you can get newer drivers to install for it, that might help resolve the issue, then use nvidia x server settings to change display settings.
            Last edited by jasoncollege24; Dec 26, 2019, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jasoncollege24
              @hallergard an out of date card... if you can get newer drivers to install for it, that might help resolve the issue, then use nvidia x server settings to change display settings.
              I do not have any issue with my out of date card, as it works fine with two monitors!

Comment

Originally posted by jasoncollege24 View Post
                @shagg00 that is totally dependent on which port that desired display is plugged into. Usually the one closest to the motherboard. (On my 1080, my DVI port displays POST, using a DVI-to-HDMI adapter
                That was true up until my last BIOS update where lo and behold that decision has been passed back to the GPU which you can set in the Nvidia panel. I also found that the DVI port was the default primary display up to that point. I also just got a HDMI to DVI-D cable to switch the monitors around and now I don't need it lol. As a total aside, my main monitor is plugged into a HDMI port and every now and then it goes blank for about 3 seconds, have you experienced this?

Comment

@hallergard sorry. wasn't sure if you were telling me, because of display issues.

shag00 no. I haven't experienced that. I use proprietary 435.xx drivers. I'm probably on the virge of reinstalling Linux though, cuz I have worse problems, since upgrading while 19.10 was still in dev.

Comment

Similar Issue, Different Computer HW

Originally posted by Randy1 View Post
                    No luck here.

Only progress is if I unplug and plug in monitor via HDMI and screen will pop up asking which mode I want (dual, XOR, expanded left/right). After choosing mode monitor immediately reverts to power saving, always blank second screen.

Settings screen shows no option for second screen.
                    Similar problem here...HP 17 with Radeon Graphics.

Everything was fine until I updated to v19 of the kernel, could only get GUI going in "recovery mode".

Then updated to v40, which constantly showed that pop-up asking which mode I want...didn't matter which was chosen, just popped up again with any mouse movement.

Tried V40 recovery mode; that didn't work. BUT, when I chose to boot with v 19 (normal boot, not recovery mode), everything worked except touch screen no longer functioned properly...fingertip was like mouse, could scroll down by grabbing the scroll bar, but not by just touching the screen, as it had done when Kubuntu 19.10 was first installed.

Can't find any system icon that will allow me to fix it, either...for both functionality and the "touchscreen" issue...

Comment

Working...
                    X