Falkon browser problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falkon browser problems

Is anyone else using the Falkon browser, and if so are you having any problems with it in 19.10? It worked fine for me in 19.04, with I just upgraded to 19.10, but now I can't open web pages - getting an error message:
    Code:
    Failed loading page
    Something went wrong while loading this page.
    Try reloading the page or closing some tabs to make more memory available.
    I do have plenty of free memory.

Starting it from a terminal results in the following output:
    Code:
    Attribute Qt::AA_ShareOpenGLContexts must be set before QCoreApplication is created.
    QWebEngineUrlScheme::registerScheme: Too late to register scheme "falkon"
    QWebEngineUrlScheme::registerScheme: Too late to register scheme "extension"
    Please register the custom scheme 'falkon' via QWebEngineUrlScheme::registerScheme() before installing the custom scheme handler.
    Please register the custom scheme 'extension' via QWebEngineUrlScheme::registerScheme() before installing the custom scheme handler.
    Falkon: 1 extensions loaded

I use Falkon on KDE Neon and starting it from konsole throws up the same error messages as yours. Except it then floods the screen with more msgs till finally starting Falkon but with 2 extensions loaded. On shutting Falkon down it crashes.

That said Falkon seems to work perfectly ok on all the sites I visit. I have seen it described as a "lightweight" browser but rather feel that this also describes its development.

Comment

Originally posted by Worzel View Post
      That said Falkon seems to work perfectly ok on all the sites I visit.
      You are getting further than me! Falkon starts and opens it's home page, but it won't load any actual web pages.

Maybe Neon has a newer version? I have updated from the kubuntu backports repository, and so I have Falkon 3.1.0 and QtWebEngine version 5.12.4.

Comment

Hi
        On Kubuntu 19.04 on my large screen t.v. rig it runs fine. I do not "do" much on the net, except that, because of all part time retired teachers losing part of our classes if we teach part time, I have gotten rid of cable and only do "internet news", And, of course, all of the biggie news people want one to be watching ONLY them and so they want e-mail, the number of pets you own, and now a credit card for some of them, so I do "alternate venues" to watch news and not much at that.

However, it loads and runs those, with the attendant screeching "look at me" adverts all over the place. It runs the adverts, the news site, etc. just fine.

it is completely UNTWEAKED ...just plain vanilla, no extensions, no color settings, etc.

I t also runs Yootub fine.

woodhopethishelpssmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I use Falkon for scripting the viewing of local web-pages with a lightweight browser that doesn't interfere with my main browser (Firefox). On Eoan, when started from the console it gives the same errors that you see. It does work fine after that. I've just tried a few Internet sites and those work fine too.

It announced a core dump on closing. (Not sure what that means, these days. I can't find any large files anywhere.)

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
            Hi
            On Kubuntu 19.04 on my large screen t.v. rig it runs fine.
            Thanks - it worked fine for me too on 19.04. The problems have started since upgrading to 19.10.

Has anyone else tried Falkon on 19.10?

Comment

Possibly it's your old profile that's the problem. You could try deinstalling Falkon, deleting ~/.cache/falkon, ~/.config.falkon, and ~/.config/falkonrc, and then reinstalling, and see if that helps.

Or it might be something to do with this bug:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=405852

...which is resolved as fixed with QtWebEngine 5.13.0, but Eoan has QtWebEngine 5.12.4, and I suspect, it's not going to be updated anytime soon since the distro has just been released.

Comment

Seems to be working just fine here on Kubuntu 19.10 with kubuntu-backports enabled:
                Attached Files
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                  Seems to be working just fine here on Kubuntu 19.10 with kubuntu-backports enabled:
                  Hmmm. What graphics are you running - intel, nvidia, AMD?

Comment

Working...
                  X