This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discover Snap Sources Greyed Out

Noticed that my Chromium snap browser installation is still not updated to v78 although it says on snap store/Discover, the stable channel shows 78.0.3904.70.

My browser is still running 77.0.3865.120.

Anyways, I went in to Discover's Sources and the Snap section of it is checked but greyed out. Not sure what it means.

I have v5.17.1 of Discover Snap Backend installed.

My first experience with snap packages...so not sure if the greyed out means I have an issue or not.

Would appreciate help with the above.

Thanks...

I restarted the system and Chromium got updated to 78. Not sure if I need to restart for snap applications to get updated...I am gonna leave the thread open to make sure other snap applications are getting updated as well.

The snap sources box is still checked but greyed out.

Comment

So, Opera published an update yesterday. Was waiting for Discover to auto-update it. Checked in latest version in Stable Channel of Discover and sure it matched the number mentioned on Opera site. Refreshed Discover multiple times, tried to update browser from Opera several times...none of them worked. Finally, to double check, restarted my system and voila, Opera updated to the latest version.

So, twice I had to restart my system for snap applications to auto-update. I really don't like this restarting system business. Takes me back to early Windows days when one had to restart the system after installation of many application program. Really starting to get a sense that the above is how snap updating is implemented in Kubuntu.

I like to restart my system probably once a week. Still no answer on why Snap sources are greyed out or why snap applications are not updating without restart.

Do Kubuntu developers or KDE developers read this forum? If not, where is the best place for me to post so that this gets some visibility?

Or am I the only one facing the above issues with snap updating?

Comment

Originally posted by Burner2k View Post
        So, Opera published an update yesterday. Was waiting for Discover to auto-update it. Checked in latest version in Stable Channel of Discover and sure it matched the number mentioned on Opera site. Refreshed Discover multiple times, tried to update browser from Opera several times...none of them worked. Finally, to double check, restarted my system and voila, Opera updated to the latest version.

So, twice I had to restart my system for snap applications to auto-update. I really don't like this restarting system business. Takes me back to early Windows days when one had to restart the system after installation of many application program. Really starting to get a sense that the above is how snap updating is implemented in Kubuntu.

I like to restart my system probably once a week. Still no answer on why Snap sources are greyed out or why snap applications are not updating without restart.

Do Kubuntu developers or KDE developers read this forum?
        No, not really, Kubuntu devs on occasion.
        If not, where is the best place for me to post so that this gets some visibility?
        Probably file a bug with Snap on Launchpad

Or am I the only one facing the above issues with snap updating?
        Maybe.
        I think there must be a cron job or some scheduling used for checking for updated snaps/etc. I get them usually within a day of a new release, and I only reboot about once a month, or if there is a kernel update and I am not doing anything on the computer. I am not sure what Discover is doing, but Snapd itself automatically checks for updates four times a day.. and also likely during boot. Discover may not checking for snap updates itself, but maybe polling for info from last time snapd checked.

You can always use the command line to manually check for things
        Code:
        sudo snap refresh
        Not 100% sure what you mean by snap being greyed out, but if you see snap in the sources, and the box is checked, it is all good.

Discover is a cross-distro software center, and unfortunately is not designed to be anything complex, and the Snap support is an addon in a sense, so you would have to most likely bug Ubuntu to see why it does not refresh in the same manner as regular packages are.

Comment

^^Firstly, thanks a lot for the detailed reply.

My Discover shows this:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191024_194218.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	644356

I suppose this is how should be? The snap check box is greyed out while box next to Eoan (main) is checked & blue.

I will post a query on the Snapcraft.io Forum about not auto-updating and see if I get any replies. If indeed confirmed as a bug, then I'll go ahead & flag it or submit it on Launchpad.
          Last edited by Burner2k; Oct 24, 2019, 08:15 AM.

Comment

That's what it should look like. Unlike Flatpak and apt, there are no extra sources one can configure, add, or remove, so perhaps that is why it can't be unchecked and has the grey.

Comment

Working...
            X