18.04 to 19.10 net upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18.04 to 19.10 net upgrade

so got bored this weekend and decided to bring a Kubuntu-18.04 install up to 19.10 .

it was a "near" stock install on the SSD I put in this box a wile back , their are 4 other installs and this SSD is a "hole" disk BTRFS file system so some snapshots first and a rollback will be easy.

Fully upgraded the 18.04 (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade) then did a
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade
    but got "no new LTS releases" O ya gotta change /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades from "Prompt=lts" to "Prompt=normal"
    then it did it's thing and I had 19.04 made sure it was fully up to date , it was , and then "sudo do-release-upgrade" again , and got "no new releases" well the release flags still are not set for it so we do "sudo do-release-upgrade -d" and it goes through.

so far so good

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

I'm trying this too but have got stuck at around 86%. I'm supposed to either change a configuration file for Geoclue, or keep the one I have, or see the difference between the two. I chose to see the difference, out of curiosity, and now I can't get back to finishing the setup. Any ideas?

Comment

Pressing Esc?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Didn't work. It just writes ESC on Konsole. What I wanted to do was to see the differences in the two config files, then go back and type N for keep the current config. However, it seems stuck at the end, where it gives the line numbers of the config file, and I can't get the process to return to where it asked me what I wanted to do.

Comment

Type: Exit and press Return?
          Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 21, 2019, 10:11 AM.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No, it gives me a no next tag error. I literally can't do anything. I'm stuck on the last line, which is highlighted and says 'lines 77-99/99 (END).

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
              No, it gives me a no next tag error. I literally can't do anything. I'm stuck on the last line, which is highlighted and says 'lines 77-99/99 (END).
              hit the "q" key ,,,,for quit.

VINNY

edit: FYI it's piping the config file through somthing like "less" or "more" so you can scroll through it , AND the key to escape those kind of things is "q"
              Last edited by vinnywright; Oct 21, 2019, 06:46 PM.
              16GB RAM

Comment

I didn't know that. But since it had been taking so long just to get to 19.04 (5 hours just to get to 50% progress) I decided to do a clean install and use my btrfs backup home folder. But the q is a useful tip.

Comment

That might be the "less" prompt. If so, press "q" to get out.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

well although it was running nicely (19.10) I could not get projectm-pulseaudio to work in 19.10 so in 5 minutes I renamed the subvoumes (btrfs) rebooted and have my 18.04 back as I left it. Aaaaa projectm is back to it's old nice self

and having it all on a btrfs filesystem has proven it's self to be valuable once again .

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                    X