X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chromium FFMPEG codecs Missing?

Hi,
    I did a fresh install of Kubuntu 19.10 yesterday. During installation, I did check the option to install thrid-party codecs. After the OS was up & running, I installed latest version of Opera as well as Vivaldi browsers.

In both browsers, I am not able to play online video content which requires Flash I guess. Videos on Twitter don't work as well as videos on most news websites.

I decided to check availability of libffmpeg.so and copy the same to Opera's installation directory. Funny thing, I cannot find "chromium-browser" folder in usr/lib/. I installed Chromium browser from the default Software Store/Package manager but it installed the snap version of it.

Further, I installed "Transitional package - chromium-codecs-ffmpeg -> chromium-ffmpeg snap" codecs separately but it seems to have made no difference.

I still cannot play flash videos on both Opera & Vivaldi browsers.

Any others in the same boat as I am? Hoping to have a resolution ASAP as I really like using Opera browser.

Thanks...

See: https://help.vivaldi.com/article/htm...edia-on-linux/
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Tried the procedure listed in the web page but no joy. Opera & Vivaldi both still can't play certain videos.

Comment

juist as a thought, are the "certain videos" ..."geo" restricted?

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I don't think the videos not playing is due to geo restrictions. When I meant certain, its like all Youtube videos play. But any video which requires H.264 (I guess most videos on Twitter, News sites videos etc.) don't play. I get it that most people use Firefox and/or Chorme/Chromium browsers and not Opera/Vivaldi, but starting to get concerned that I might be one of the few people being affected by this or just something wrong in my system/installation?

Comment

Posting results from http://html5test.com/ if it helps.

Comment

I installed the snap version of Opera and was able to get them videos play on the browser. So this could be a possible solution i.e. on Ubuntu 19.10 flavors, just use Opera snap instead of deb version.

Sadly, Vivaldi browser does not provide a snap version currently and hence I guess, I'll be removing it until one becomes available.

Comment

Hi
                This is using Kubuntu 19.04.
                I went to this page and it correctly recognized my OS and provided a .deb package.

https://vivaldi.com/

I clicked the download and install at the same time and it failed.

I downloaded and doubleclicked it and Discover offered to install it but it required: Libappindicator 3-1.

I accepted and it installed.

Upon opening it asked if I wanted to "do a setup" and I did that.

A lot of custimizing the appearance etc.

It offered to import bookmarks from Chrome and Vivaldi but NOT firefox. I am reasonably certain that there is an import function somewhere if one exports from firefox to a file but maybe not.

Upon finishing it presented a lot of commercial bookmarks from Ali Express to Booking dot com to Kayak.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Burner2k View Post
                  I don't think the videos not playing is due to geo restrictions. When I meant certain, its like all Youtube videos play. But any video which requires H.264 (I guess most videos on Twitter, News sites videos etc.) don't play. I get it that most people use Firefox and/or Chorme/Chromium browsers and not Opera/Vivaldi, but starting to get concerned that I might be one of the few people being affected by this or just something wrong in my system/installation?
                  I use FF and accuweather.com videos do not play so maybe it's not just a specific browser thing.
                  Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
                    I use FF and accuweather.com videos do not play so maybe it's not just a specific browser thing.
                    that plays fine @hear , maybe you do not have DRM checked in firefoxes preferences.

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

This is, in my opinion. a good thread.
                      woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

This worked for me with vivaldi, is there a similar process for opera too?

Comment

I didn't think to try making an exception for accweather.com in my adblocker.
                          Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Working...
                          X