This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Desktop widgets disappearing

I did a dist-upgrade this morning and all my desktop widgets (all folder views) have disappeared. Also, I can not manage to reinstall them. I bring up the list of widgets, but no amount of clicking or dragging will install one.

Curious?

Plasma 5.17.0, KDE 5.63.0, kernel 4.15.0-65.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Verify that you are still using the desktop view you were using before the upgrade.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Verify that you are still using the desktop view you were using before the upgrade.
      Not sure what that means. I just looked in Configure desktop and it said the layout was "Folder view", whatever that means. I changed it to "Desktop" clicked apply and ok. But when I reopen "Configure desktop", it's back to "Folder view". Why would that be? Could that be related to the problem?

Every time I click to install a wdget, a counter in the ULH corner of that widget gets incremented. But alas, no widget appears anywhere. What black hole is swallowing them up?
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Can we assume that you have logged off, rebooted, or restarted Plasma after the update?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Can we assume that you have logged off, rebooted, or restarted Plasma after the update?
          No, I hadn't. First time I ever needed to do so in Linux. Thought that was a big pb with Windoze. Guess nothing is perfect.

So thanks for the suggestion. The folder views are all back. And that's not all. The "Minimize windows" widget, which had lost its colors and was just a blank box for the last few weeks, has got its colors back.

Has plasma had the vapors for a while?

There was a problem. My efforts to create widgets had now left folder views all over my activity screens. Deleting more than about five at a time crashed plasma, or so I suppose it was since I was left with a black screen and my cursor. I finally had to do it one view at a time, each time x-ing out the window which asked me if I wanted to undo what I had done, presumably to clear up a table somewhere in memory. Even so, it crashed after a few removals. So I had to remove a few, then logout and re-login.

Once again, all is well which finishes well. Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

Sometimes the old libs are still loaded in ram and the recent release of Plasma 5.17 made me wonder if something like this was happening.

Reboots are not required but sometimes restarting plasmashell takes care of this, and rebooting or logging out are two ways to do this.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Sometimes the old libs are still loaded in ram and the recent release of Plasma 5.17 made me wonder if something like this was happening.

Reboots are not required but sometimes restarting plasmashell takes care of this, and rebooting or logging out are two ways to do this.
              How does one restart plasma shell? Thanks.

Comment

Rebooting or logging out are two ways to do it

Comment

Working...
                X