X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No More Dolphin Root Workaround?

I had this code setup as a script file:

Code:
    pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin $HOME
    That was later tied to a desktop file so I could use Krunner to easily run it.

And it will pop up asking for the password and as soon as I enter in the password everything will just close out. Dolphin won't launch.

Is this workaround no longer valid in 19.10?
    Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

? it's still working hear on this

Code:
    Operating System: KDE neon Testing Edition
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.17.0
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.64.0
    Qt Version: 5.13.1
    Kernel Version: 5.0.0-30-generic
    OS Type: 64-bit
    Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.90GHz
    Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
    but I did other tweaks as well like it opening with red folders and such , cant really remember .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Not on this though:

Code:
      Operating System: Kubuntu 19.10
      KDE Plasma Version: 5.16.5
      KDE Frameworks Version: 5.62.0
      Qt Version: 5.12.4
      Kernel Version: 5.3.0-18-generic
      OS Type: 64-bit
      Processors: 8 × Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-1630 v3 @ 3.70GHz
      Memory: 31.3 GiB of RAM
      No other tweaks, just a fresh install.

Comment

did you run it in a konsole to see at least some output ?

their is always Krusader

VINNY
        Last edited by vinnywright; Oct 17, 2019, 08:16 PM.
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          did you run it in a konsole to see at least some output ?
          See attached for output.

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          their is always Krusader
          Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of Krusader. I don't like the UI at all. Besides that, on this very machine, when I remove Dolphin (I don't like having more then one file manager installed a time, probably very much alone in that, but that is a quirk of mine) and use Krusader, interaction between Ark and Krusader is far, far from as smooth as Dolphin and Ark. Now the quirks of Ark and Krusader may be due to something that I may be doing or something to do with the hardware that it's on, I dunno. Either way, I can't get past Krusader's UI, for me it is far from efficient (in reality, how it's setup it might be even more efficient then Dolphin, but it just doesn't work for me).
          Attached Files

Comment

Well, here, same neon as vinny, I get lots of "QStandardPaths:" stuff, but no "Session bus not found" at all, and Dolphin runs as root just fine.
            About not liking to have more than one file manager though... I can't think of a possible reason for it. Click image for larger version

Name:	uhmuhm.gif
Views:	4
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	644348

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
              Well, here, same neon as vinny, I get lots of "QStandardPaths:" stuff, but no "Session bus not found" at all, and Dolphin runs as root just fine.
              I have to determine that Plasma just doesn't work well with this setup in the siggy. There seems to be a myriad of "polishing" touches that don't seem to work with Plasma on this rig. I'm going to have to test this out on my other Plasma installs, I still have Neon on another of my rigs and on my son's mini PC. I'll have to see if these same "visuals" happen or if it's limited to my specific setup. Well, except Dolphin as root, I know that works on both of those already.

About not liking to have more than one file manager though... I can't think of a possible reason for it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]8333[/ATTACH]
              As I said, that's a quirk of mine. However, Krusader is on my list of just don't like at all. I've tried it several times, just doesn't do it for me. Plus, as I mentioned, the interaction between file manager and Ark doesn't seem to run as smooth when using something other then Dolphin. Again, on this particular rig.
              Last edited by WWDERW; Oct 18, 2019, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Why is this not working now. I want it back.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryHavenga View Post
                  Why is this not working now. I want it back.
                  Asked and answered ad nauseam.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The error message gives a breadcrumb to a clue.....
                    I really should leave it to the students to figure it out, but I guess my severe knee pain today is affecting my judgement

Install dbus-x11 and try again. Nothing Plasma or KDE related whatsoever (for those conspiracy theorists muahaha), but the needed dbus-launch command is not present by default on 19.10, at least not on my mostly stock system, + PPA. This package provides it.
                    It is installed by default on 18.04 (ie Neon), and I assume 19.04, and explains why it works for those of us using it.

Comment

Now it works again. Many thanks. I am so glad for the workaround. The anarchist in me rebels against being told what I can and cannot do on my system.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        Install dbus-x11
                        Brilliant Click image for larger version

Name:	icon_smile_inchino.gif
Views:	1
Size:	260 Bytes
ID:	644448

Comment

Originally posted by BarryHavenga View Post
                          Now it works again. Many thanks. I am so glad for the workaround. The anarchist in me rebels against being told what I can and cannot do on my system.
                          Tell your anarchist to chill. Good counsel is more useful than bad frustration

Oh yeah, I know, I have one inside me, too
                          Last edited by jglen490; Dec 05, 2019, 03:50 PM.
                          The next brick house on the left
                          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Brilliant [ATTACH=CONFIG]8471[/ATTACH]
                            Thanks, but I don't feel brilliant, I feel a bit sad, as I have a fairly firm belief that this sort of thing a user needs to figure out on their own, or at least search for it a bit.

I think half the reason is to nip the bud of the usual tired, old, boring, non-productive , and false-premise rants about bla bla bla my rights blah blah my system blah blah blargity blah forced blahblahblah i demand that they blahblahhblllahh 'I do what I want"

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              Thanks, but I don't feel brilliant, I feel a bit sad, as I have a fairly firm belief that this sort of thing a user needs to figure out on their own, or at least search for it a bit.

I think half the reason is to nip the bud of the usual tired, old, boring, non-productive , and false-premise rants about bla bla bla my rights blah blah my system blah blah blargity blah forced blahblahblah i demand that they blahblahhblllahh 'I do what I want"
                              There is an interesting moral dilemma here.

Not referring to anyone specifically including those on this thread; Do I tell a user how to do something that is highly likely to allow them to damage their install beyond repair, so likely so that the developer(s) have taken steps to block or at least obfuscate that ability? Or do I throw all caution to the wind and just dump the info on them, even though they appear to be unable to figure it out themselves? The premise being that if the user is not well enough versed to solve what is a minor problem, are they experienced enough to avoid the obvious pitfalls now open to them? This doesn't rise to the level of "sudo rm -f *" type stuff, but it's in the same ballpark sometimes.

A simple example is how the *Buntu's do not enable a root password by default. This prevents someone who isn't experienced enough to enable root login themselves unable to stumble into it and wreak havoc. I can say for sure that when I was a noob 20 years ago and pre-buntu, I killed at least three installs this way. Now-a-days if I really need root login (never to the GUI) for something specific I enable the root login log enough to complete the task, then remove the root password to disable root login so I don't do myself in again. However, it's been so long since I needed to do that I can't remember why I did.

My usual method to gauge my replies to a question that may lead to something potentially dangerous is to glean what I can about the user's abilities, and if I decide to go ahead, caveat strongly but pass on the knowledge. I err on the side of providing the info and let the user be responsible for the outcome. I have even talked users down off of the ledge on more than one occasion.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X