This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netplan and Hurricane tunnels

My ISP, Allophone.com, does not support IPv6 on their optical fiber network. (Real soon now!). Neither did my previous ISP, spectrum.

Since I created my Hurricane account I have been using
    Code:
    #tunnelbroker
    auto he-ipv6
    iface he-ipv6 inet6 v4tunnel
            address 2001:XXX:YYY:ZZZ::2/64
            netmask 64
            endpoint 1AA.1BB.CCC.DDD
            local 192.168.11.100
            ttl 255
            gateway 2001:XXX:YYY:ZZZ::1
            dns-nameservers 2606:4700:4700:1111
            dns-nameservers 2606:4700:4700:1001
    in /etc/network/interfaces

Then, my IPv6 stopped working. Netplan doesn't use the interfaces file.
    So, I created a script, IPv6.sh, in my home directory, assigned it to root and added the excute permisson:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

PATH=/sbin:/bin

ifconfig sit0 up
    ifconfig sit0 inet6 tunnel ::aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
    ifconfig sit1 up               
    ifconfig sit1 inet6 add 2001:XXX:YYY:ZZZ::2/64
    route -A inet6 add ::/0 dev sit1
    For I don't remember how long I just opened a Konsole and issued "sudo ./IPv6.sh".

Then I got tired of that and did some exploring into possible Systemd units. I discovered this config file:
    he-ipv6.service
    Code:
    [Unit]
    Description=he.net IPv6 tunnel
    After=network.target

[Service]
    Type=oneshot
    RemainAfterExit=yes
    ExecStart=/bin/ip tunnel add he-ipv6 mode sit remote AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD local 192.168.11.100 ttl 255
    ExecStart=/bin/ip link set he-ipv6 up mtu 1480
    ExecStart=/bin/ip addr add 2001:XXX:YYY:ZZZ::2 dev he-ipv6
    ExecStart=/bin/ip -6 route add ::/0 dev he-ipv6
    ExecStop=/bin/ip -6 route del ::/0 dev he-ipv6
    ExecStop=/bin/ip link set he-ipv6 down
    ExecStop=/bin/ip tunnel del he-ipv6

[Install]
    WantedBy=multi-user.target
    I saved that script under /etc/systemd/system/he-ipv6.service and then using the systemd GUI in Settings I used "enable" and "start" to activate it. Then I rebooted and had my tunnel. This method does not use sit or sit0, like my manual method does. Also, this method is for Systemd-System configurations.

I have a static IP address, but I am also behind NAT on my router. So, according to Hurricane, I must use my local IP address, which ends with .100. IF I used my static Internet facing IP address this service won't work. Neither with my script.

If you use Systemd-Networkd then use the other method shown in the link below:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...l_broker_setup
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Addendum:
    I forgot to add that when you set up a Hurricane tunnel you need to do two additional things:
    1) Make sure you have a hole in your firewall at port 41. That port is used to ping Hurricane's tunnel server to be sure it is present.
    2) Use your computer MAC address to lock your dispensed IP address to a fixed value. I use 192.168.11.100 If you don't do that then Hurricane won't be able to connect because " ... local 192.168.11.100 tt" won't be true every time you boot up or renew your DHCP lease.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X