This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daihard View Post
    I have a related question. I've encountered issues with the current version of KDE Plasma and learned that they have been (or will be) fixed for a new version of Plasma. I'd like to get those fixes onto my LTS (18.04, for instance), but fixes like that, unless security-related, don't seem to be backported. In that case, what are my options? Some of those issues have been severe enough for me to consider downgrading to an older LTS version when a newer LTS isn't available yet.
    Your only options will be to upgrade to a newer Kubuntu release, or another distro that has a newer Plasma. Else learn how to build all of Plasma from the ground up, and that includes Qt.

The Qt version in Ubuntu 18.04 is a contributing factor in 18.04 not having a newer Plasma even in a PPA. The upgrade to these libraries would break anything not compiled against it, which would include a lot of non_KDE stuff (ask any KDE Neon user about this). An updated Qt is also the source of many bug fixes on its own. As Ubuntu is heavily tied to the version used in 18.04, Kubuntu can't on its own just upgrade it, especially on an LTS.

Comment

I run 18.04 LTS fully updated and have no complaints about it. As a W10 convert it is close to ideal. However, I wish to keep pace with improvements, and have the latest Plasma.

I like a stable distro which gives me control over updates/upgrades.

Bearing in mind the thread so far, would it be better for me to install KDE Neon, or Kubuntu 19.04, or wait for 19.10 LTS?
      Last edited by JoHubb; Nov 13, 2019, 02:08 AM.

Comment

The next Kubuntu LTS will be 20.04.
        KDE Neon User Edition is based on 18.04 but has the "latest" Plasma. In the sense that you can get even more "latest" by using Testing or Unstable editions, but they are pre-release and quite buggy at times.
        It's "semi-rolling", in the sense the base software is always LTS-based, the Plasma part is updated continuously.

If, as you say, you like an LTS base but want the latest Plasma, it could just be the thing for you.
        Why not try it?
        In a virtual machine, a live USB with persistency, or even a HD partition...
        I use Testing. I really like it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoHubb View Post
          I run 18.04 LTS fully updated and have no complaints about it. As a W10 convert it is close to ideal. However, I wish to keep pace with improvements, and have the latest Plasma.

I like a stable distro which gives me control over updates/upgrades.

Bearing in mind the thread so far, would it be better for me to install KDE Neon, or Kubuntu 19.04, or wait for 19.10 LTS?
          kubuntu is what you want. neon lacks too much.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Your only options will be to upgrade to a newer Kubuntu release, or another distro that has a newer Plasma. Else learn how to build all of Plasma from the ground up, and that includes Qt.

The Qt version in Ubuntu 18.04 is a contributing factor in 18.04 not having a newer Plasma even in a PPA. The upgrade to these libraries would break anything not compiled against it, which would include a lot of non_KDE stuff (ask any KDE Neon user about this). An updated Qt is also the source of many bug fixes on its own. As Ubuntu is heavily tied to the version used in 18.04, Kubuntu can't on its own just upgrade it, especially on an LTS.
            Thanks for the reply.

That being the case, I wonder about the bug fix policy of the KDE team. I don't necessarily want to upgrade to a newer version of Plasma / Qt. In most cases, I want a version that has bugs fixed. The major reason I use LTS is for its stability as I use Kubuntu for software development work.
            Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
            Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

In KDE most bug fixes are done via new versions, though now with Plasma having LTS versions, this has been changing. Many bug fixes have been added to 5.12.x, for sure.

Often the bug fixes are actually found in Qt updates, but Ubuntu are not going to update that on an LTS release.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X