This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] How to update Plasma ?

I have Plasma v5.12.9 and it appears that v5.16 is available.
    https://kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.16.0.php

Question is how do you update Plasma? Is updating safe?

I am using Kubuntu 18.04 LTS

Update; it doesn't seem possible at this time to udpate plasma on 18.14
    Last edited by dagmann; Oct 03, 2019, 10:15 AM.

As you are using 18.04 LTS, which by design will only have Plasma 5.12 LTS, the only way to get a newer version is to upgrade to Kubuntu 19.04, and then to 19.10 once that is released.
    Plasma version upgrades are quite safe, as they normally have updates regularly, and non-LTS users can get them via PPAs if they can't wait for the next Kubuntu release every six months.
    Now, upgrading the whole OS, that can for some be troublesome as there is always a risk of breakage. I have had great luck as I only upgrade my main systems, bar any hardware failures. My desktop has been upgraded every 6 months since 12.10, except for a hard drive replacement on 17.10.

Others swear by clean installs.

Comment

Just my 2ç, take with grain of salt:
      In my (very limited) experience, upgrading distros never led to ·breakage", only minor glitches.

If you do decide do make a clean install, and are mainly interested in the Plasma part, you may want to consider Neon unstable.
      It's "semi-rolling", in the way that the current one is based on 18.04 - and will stay there - but the plasma, it updates pretty much constantly.
      I'm currently using 5.17.80 (which is pretty much 5.18 beta).

So if you're curious about how the latest plasma is doing (and for my part I'd say it's doing really quite well) Neon unstable is the way to go.
      Downside, some of the updates you get, will malfunction.
      For example, for the past week or so, right-clicking on the desktop (shutdown, widgets, configure, etc.) and on the panel (options, etc.) does nothing.
      I've reported it, it's not fixed yet.
      Usually they fix them more quickly, tough.

One upside I really like is the handling of updates. Probably because they are so often. No unattended ones whatsoever, they don't bug you, and the xapian index is updated when you want.

Comment

I use KDEneon User Edition and it's on 5.16.5.

No KDE related issues I'm aware of except the continuous and annoying (old) bug where some of my widgets shift position on their own.

I still only do fresh installs. I'm fearful of old cruft causing shenanigans. Plus, each major release usually has fixes and changes in functionality so I like to give it a chance to perform on it's own.

Please Read Me

Comment

So if you're curious about how the latest plasma is doing (and for my part I'd say it's doing really quite well) Neon unstable is the way to go.
          lololololol.
          No, just no.

This translates into running pre-pre-release quality software, as opposed to Neon User edition, which has the latest, official, stable releases. A bit fresher than the latest Kubuntu + official updates PPAs

Neon Dev stable is a better choice to see what the next plasma version will actually be like, as it is beta software, and is extremely close to what the next Plasma version will be, as opposed to the more wild west playground that the Unstable is.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            lololololol.
            No, just no.

This translates into running pre-pre-release quality software, as opposed to Neon User edition, which has the latest, official, stable releases. A bit fresher than the latest Kubuntu + official updates PPAs

Neon Dev stable is a better choice to see what the next plasma version will actually be like, as it is beta software, and is extremely close to what the next Plasma version will be, as opposed to the more wild west playground that the Unstable is.
            Right. That's what VMs are for...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Right. That's what VMs are for...
              Sure, but the dev-unstable is still not necessarily the best choice to see where Plasma is going, as features and code are not always in a settled state.

Comment

I suppose that I will wait for 19.04 LTS ... hopefully there will be one.

Comment

The next *ubuntu LTS will be 20.04. There is one every two years. It should have the next LTS release of Plasma as well, 5.18.

*buntu releases are numbered by year and month, so 19.10 is coming this month, and 20.04 this coming next April.
                  Last edited by claydoh; Oct 04, 2019, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dagmann View Post
                    I suppose that I will wait for 19.04 LTS ... hopefully there will be one.
                    Nope. LTS releases are every two years so April 2020 (20.04) is the next LTS release.
                    For some reason IME, the .04 releases are pretty solid but the .10 releases are always a problem. Starting 2014 or so I stopped bothering with October releases at all. So if you want to upgrade to get newer Plasma, you might as well go ahead and install 19.04. Either that or what it out until next April.

I will say there have been a lot of improvements since 18.04 so it might be worth the trouble. That's the main reason I use KDEneon instead of Kubuntu - fastest possible KDE updated but riding on an LTS core so less drama.

Please Read Me

Comment

lololololol.
                      No, just no.

I think that one is officially "testing" now , we had to change the source list from
                      Code:
                      archive.neon.kde.org/dev/stable
                      to

Code:
                      archive.neon.kde.org/testing/
                      and IS what my main boot is .

and at the moment is as such

Code:
                      Operating System: KDE neon Testing Edition
                      KDE Plasma Version: 5.16.90
                      KDE Frameworks Version: 5.63.0
                      Qt Version: 5.13.1
                      Kernel Version: 4.15.0-66-generic
                      OS Type: 64-bit
                      Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.90GHz
                      Memory: 15.6 GiB of RAM
                      VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Next April is a long time to wait. I just have the O/S installed to become familiar with it. I have nothing important on the Kubuntu system.

Comment

19.10 is here in about two weeks, and of course one can upgrade early if they are impatient. At the beta stage, *buntu are solid, and all hard 'freezes are coming up in a week or so.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EoanErmine/Beta/Kubuntu

Comment

Oh well. I managed to suss out that the current Testing edition has Plasma 5.16.90.
                            Since all I needed was 5.16+ for my clock to work, :·) I moved to Testing in about two hours. Not bad, considering some custom database/python stuff I have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	neont.png
Views:	1
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	644340

I now have the same setup I had on Unstable, except things here work... and it does not have unattended-upgrades either :·)
                            So I'm quite happy.
                            I guess when you suggested I use Unstable (which I really liked, mind you, except lately it was getting a bit Unusable), Testing didn't have 5.16.

Comment

As you are using 18.04 LTS, which by design will only have Plasma 5.12 LTS, the only way to get a newer version is to upgrade to Kubuntu 19.04, and then to 19.10 once that is released.
                              Plasma version upgrades are quite safe, as they normally have updates regularly, and non-LTS users can get them via PPAs if they can't wait for the next Kubuntu release every six months.
                              Now, upgrading the whole OS, that can for some be troublesome as there is always a risk of breakage. I have had great luck as I only upgrade my main systems, bar any hardware failures. My desktop has been upgraded every 6 months since 12.10, except for a hard drive replacement on 17.10.

Others swear by clean installs.
                              I have a related question. I've encountered issues with the current version of KDE Plasma and learned that they have been (or will be) fixed for a new version of Plasma. I'd like to get those fixes onto my LTS (18.04, for instance), but fixes like that, unless security-related, don't seem to be backported. In that case, what are my options? Some of those issues have been severe enough for me to consider downgrading to an older LTS version when a newer LTS isn't available yet.
                              Registered Linux User: #281828 | Kubuntu User: #22280

Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
                              Dell Precision Workstation T5500 (Xeon @ 2.13GHz x 2 / 12 GB RAM)

Comment

Working...
                              X