This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Directory path for an MTP device?

I have a digital music player that KDE recognizes, and I can open the attached SD card in Dolphin and interact with the files, but I can't figure out the directory path to access it from the command line. I'd love to be able to use rsync to sync my music collection directly to the player instead of having to always eject the SD card. One suggestion I found said to look in
    /run/user/1000/gvfs/

but the directory is empty. Same with another similar directory that was also suggested and which I've forgotten at the moment. Dolphin shows the directory path as
    mtp:/FiiO M6/M6 Micro SD/

But of course putting that into the command line tells me there is "No such file or directory". If I back up to the top directory level, right click on the FiiO M6 icon and look at properties, it says:

So not much help there, either. Where is the durn thing?
    Last edited by Mountain Man; Oct 02, 2019, 07:19 PM.

You could:
    - In Dolphin, Settings -> Configure Dolphin-> Startup-> Editable location bar. So you can copy it. Good thing to have anyway.
    - Again in Dolphin, when in the directory, F4 will open a little terminal at the bottom, so you already have a command line, in that directory, and you can copy it from there too.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
      You could:
      - In Dolphin, Settings -> Configure Dolphin-> Startup-> Editable location bar. So you can copy it. Good thing to have anyway.
      - Again in Dolphin, when in the directory, F4 will open a little terminal at the bottom, so you already have a command line, in that directory, and you can copy it from there too.
      Thank you for the reply.

But I tried both of those already. Opening the terminal shows the root directory, and the Dolphin location bar shows "mtp:/FiiO M6/M6 Micro SD/" which is not a valid directory path.

Comment

When you use the mtp:// protocol in KDE Apps, the file system on the device is not actually mounted anywhere, instead the apps use the mtp kio-slave as a transport layer between the app and the device.

If you want cli access, there are various mtpfs implementations available, that will allow you to mount the file systems for cli access (of course you can access those mounts with GUI apps as well)

Note that mtp protocol is notoriously messy, and implementation varies between devices, so I can't guarantee that everything works as expected, but you can always test and try.

You can probably find more information online, but the archwiki is a good place to start:
        https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...nsfer_Protocol

Of the mentioned mtpfs implementations, at least "jmtpfs" and "go-mtpfs" are available for installing straight from the ubuntu repositories (you' might also want to install "mtp-tools" as well).

Comment

Okay... thanks for the reply, but it seems that copying directly to a mounted Android device (the Fiio M6 runs Android) from KDE/Linux is fraught with dangers and I suspect it of occasionally corrupting the SD card in some fashion requiring me to stick it in a Windows 10 machine to run an automatic repair. So I'll stick with ejecting the card and loading it into my PC directly.

Comment

Working...
          X