This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amarok refuses input

If I click on Amarok buttons or playlist, nothing happens. Really, nothing. There is no animation of the button, no movement of the playlist, nothing.

Don't know if it matters, but Amarok phonon configuration setting for audio playback shows no device. But I can get it to say "Front right" and "Front left" to me.

At the same time, Clementine works fine, but I don't like its interface as well as Amaroks's.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Posting this here isn't appropriate. It should be in the Software support forum for the version of Kubuntu you are running, which is?? (I'll move this thread)
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Amarok is still available up to 18.10, though being a KDE4 program, bit rot has likely set in, and troubleshooting this may not be very simple. It is probably looking for nonexistent KDE4 configs and other bits that no longer exist.
      You could run it from the command line, then click some buttons and see if there are any error messages, but being able to fix it , I dunno.

Comment

Thanks. I fankly didn't know where to put it.
        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Amarok is still available up to 18.10, though being a KDE4 program, bit rot has likely set in, and troubleshooting this may not be very simple. It is probably looking for nonexistent KDE4 configs and other bits that no longer exist.
          You could run it from the command line, then click some buttons and see if there are any error messages, but being able to fix it , I dunno.
          What? Is Amarok going away? That's terrible! What will replace it?

I did run it from the command line. Thanks for the suggestion. The result is

Code:
          $ WARNING: bool Phonon::FactoryPrivate::createBackend() phonon backend plugin could not be loaded 
          Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
          QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: Permission denied
          QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/jon/music-mp3/lost+found
          What is it doing with lost+found in my music-mp3 partitioin.

So I did

Code:
          $ dpkg --get-selections | grep -i phonon
          libphonon4:amd64                                install
          libphonon4qt5-4:amd64                           install
          libphonon4qt5-bin                               install
          phonon:amd64                                    install
          phonon-backend-gstreamer                        install
          phonon-backend-vlc                              install
          phonon4qt5:amd64                                deinstall
          phonon4qt5-backend-vlc:amd64                    install
          Is there something obviously missing in here?

Comment

It may not be going away, but it's "being ported to KDE5" since March 2018. Not looking good.
            Some discussion, including alternatives, can be found on Reddit. And elsewhere, obviously.

Comment

Amarok development more or less stopped for whatever reason. There has been a very slow attempt at porting it to plasma 5.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

I seem to recall qt4-phonon (or at least the qt4-backends) were removed in a recent upgrade (of course this depends on which version of kubuntu you are running), so this could explain why you get this error:
                ...phonon backend plugin could not be loaded
                I think it's time to say goodbye to amarok, since the qt5 version doesn't seem to get released. I moved to strawberry music player (a still developed clementine fork, and qt5), since I purged qt4 from my machines a while back.
                It's not available in the repos yet, but there is an appimage package available, and also a downloadable deb package available from the website, if you prefer debs like myself: ( https://www.strawberrymusicplayer.org/ ).

I hope it'll make it to the repos eventually.

Comment

Well, you can always get one of these. Apparently they have good sound systems

Click image for larger version

Name:	SETVW-4-LEXm.png
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	644324

Comment

Clementine still works, but is also apparently not long for this world. As kubicle mentioned Strawberry works just fine and is a worthy successor to Clementine. Clementine was forked from the (now very old ) version 1.4 of Amarok. That was the last Amarok that was worth a flip

It's always time to move on ...
                    The next brick house on the left
                    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I like QMplay2 .
                      dose audio video browses/searches/plays youtube and DL's youtube internet radio and is Qt5 .

you can pull the interface apart into separate widgets so have the player window on one screen and the other controls on a different one.

hears an old shot of it and the nvidia settings showing it using the GPU to do the decoding/playing of a youtube vid

and one with interface puled apart just showing the EQ , video , playlist and info , the rest is behind the task bar (lower left)

these shots are old ,,,,,,

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                        Clementine still works, but is also apparently not long for this world. As kubicle mentioned Strawberry works just fine and is a worthy successor to Clementine. Clementine was forked from the (now very old ) version 1.4 of Amarok. That was the last Amarok that was worth a flip

It's always time to move on ...
                        Well , so this Strawberry is pretty sweet , must be ripe

for a music collection player like Amarok was it's very nice feature full and light , I still like QMplay2 for a video radio music all in one player , but this is good (Strawberry)

I grabbed the appimage and let AppimageLauncher integrate it into the system (QMplay2 has an appimage now as well) and it's working well on 2 systems

in Neon testing ,,,,,,,

and Kubuntu-19.10 ,,,,,,,

nice

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

And for those who may appreciate Synaptic, Strawberry is also available there.
                          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I downloaded QMPlay2 and gave it a try with AppImage. It might be nice, but I can't figure out how to use it. All the online doc I can find are either how to install it or examples of things you can look at with no explanation of how. Do you know of any real doc for it?

Comment

While it seems to have the usual menus and options, it's a bit of an insult to consumers to not even make a simple user's guide available, or a decent Help section. I haven't used QMplay, but maybe it has a Help menu? With some clues? I don't know

Comment

Working...
                              X