Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What best option to shutdown or sleep hard disks after x minutes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In order to respawn a service shouldn't you have, under the "[Service]" stanza,
    Restart=always
    RestartSec=2
    (or some other number of seconds)

EDIT: P.S. - My bootup time is 5.1 seconds from POST. Or, 5.1 seconds from power up if I disable POST. With startup times like that I don't have a need to sleep. (I dropped my startup time from almost 12 seconds to 5 seconds by purging snapd and the loop devices.)
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 25, 2020, 02:49 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi,I guess you're referring to this thread I opened on the service disappears or dies, where I refer to this post/thread (which I'm writing right now )

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      In order to respawn a service shouldn't you have, under the "[Service]" stanza,
      Restart=always
      RestartSec=2
      (or some other number of seconds)
      It escapes me a little, I don't know which part or where you mean, I wouldn't know how to do because I don't know which part you mean. My knowledge about it I don't think is enough...

EDIT: P.S. - My bootup time is 5.1 seconds from POST. Or, 5.1 seconds from power up if I disable POST. With startup times like that I don't have a need to sleep. (I dropped my startup time from almost 12 seconds to 5 seconds by purging snapd and the loop devices.)
      Yes, my start is also very fast and I also noticed it faster since, on your advice (and some other forum mate in a thread) I also uninstalled snapd from the system.
      However, for me, it is very comfortable to sleep the computer, I can work with it over 6-8 hours a day, but not followed, sometimes I leave the computer 30 minutes or an hour, I leave everything as I have, browsers, jobs ... etc ... I sleep the computer and when I return, I have everything as it was.
      The reason for sleeping the computer is not because of the speed of resumption, but because when I return to it, I have everything as it was. Based on that, I got used to it, and I also sleep it at night. For me, it is very comfortable/useful, because the next day I still have everything as I left it.

Sleeping the mechanical hard disks is also very useful for me, as main I have a nvme, but I have 3 mechanics to which I only use them for backups and data, and I could say that 90% of the time I have a computer booted, the mechanics are not in use (and the backup only 5 minutes a day), to be able to sleep them, apart from the energy saving, there is sound saving

Thanks and regards.

PD: Sorry for my english...

Comment

Since this thread has been necroed, I would like to add that hd-idle made it into the debian repositories last year, and so into Ubuntu, in at least eoan and focal. So one can install it using your favourite package manager.

It's not well documented in Ubuntu, though. It installs into an inactive state, and the man page does not indicate how to get it to go. You have to edit /etc/default/hd-idle to uncomment the line at the end that sets useful options:
        Code:
        HD_IDLE_OPTS="-i 180 -l /var/log/hd-idle.log"
        That sets an idle time of 180 seconds, and is applied to all "rotational" storage, including IIUC USB mounted drives (except "real" SCSI drives that can't restart from sleep). It will apply the next time the service is started, so to apply immediately run sudo service hd-idle restart.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          Since this thread has been necroed, I would like to add that hd-idle made it into the debian repositories last year, and so into Ubuntu, in at least eoan and focal. So one can install it using your favourite package manager.
          Yes, in my other post I indicate this, in 18.04 aren't in repositories, I jump from 18.04 to 20.04 and now I view are in repos, for me its a very good new

It's not well documented in Ubuntu, though. It installs into an inactive state, and the man page does not indicate how to get it to go. You have to edit /etc/default/hd-idle to uncomment the line at the end that sets useful options:
          Code:
          HD_IDLE_OPTS="-i 180 -l /var/log/hd-idle.log"
          That sets an idle time of 180 seconds, and is applied to all "rotational" storage, including IIUC USB mounted drives (except "real" SCSI drives that can't restart from sleep). It will apply the next time the service is started, so to apply immediately run sudo service hd-idle restart.
          By default, yes, it's not very well documented in ubuntu, but by default, the line that you indicate is commented, so it is deactivated.

Yes, with sudo service hd-idle restart, again, return and work hd-idle service (but this, I preferer indicate in the other thread )

Thanks and regards.

Comment

Is there really no way to set the spin down time in the GUI?

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post
              Is there really no way to set the spin down time in the GUI?
              Hd-idle not have a GUI.

Comment

Working...
              X