This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's outdated IMO

The size thing I mean. My laptop came with 260MB EFI from Lenovo with windows 10 on it. I have added 3 linux installs and my usage is 34MB of the 260
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Sep 20, 2019, 04:54 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Not outdated. Rod's the UEFI guru. His information holds. When a page needs an update, he's usually on it. That linked page (above) was last updated on 7/6/2018. Most of this basic info is not changing much. Except that various motherboard makers may introduce their own twists, but all follow UEFI standards (as explained at Wikipedia).
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I should add that, IME, Rod responds to email questions well. His website is a good place to allocate some of your Linux donation budget.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Never seen anyone else advise the size needs to be that large. Granted 550MB isn't much in the scheme of things these days, but if you read what he say about it, it smacks of 2011 when he wrote it. I seriously doubt Lenovo and other is sending out their PCs with an easily solved issue like that size. Apple is using larger size but even those uptight a-holes don't use 550MB, but whatever - it's your hard drive.

Please Read Me

Comment

FYI, Windows 10, Manjaro, Ubuntu, and KDEneon installed here and 34MB used, Windows takes up 10 times any of the Linux installs. So based on that I have room for at least another 100 or so Linux istalls

Please Read Me

Comment

500 MB allowance covers the case where you (or someone) might create a UEFI variable and you actually put a lot of booting support in the ESP, like kernels, initrds, modules, bootloader & supports, etc. Most people won't use that capability. Most people probably only need 30-100 MB. I use 500 MB, just because, and disks are so large and cheap now.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Open a konsole and type: cat /etc/fstab

Copy and paste the output in your reply.
                This is from my freshly configured new2me Thinkpad x260:

UUID=209d9976-5163-49ca-9f17-0409b06ec79b / btrfs defaults,subvol=@ 0 1

# /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation

UUID=D5F9-F75A /boot/efi vfat umask=0077 0 1

# /home was on /dev/sda4 during installation

UUID=4c0c9fef-7e23-4da0-ad3a-d87c9ec37e59 /home btrfs defaults,subvol=@home 0 2

# /tardis was on /dev/sda5 during installation

UUID=e3ee82c7-e931-4969-9de0-039167370e31 /tardis btrfs defaults 0 2

# swap was on /dev/sda2 during installation

UUID=edf335a3-a412-4eb6-bee3-f0d50c68b948 none swap sw 0 0

/tardis is where I plan to keep all of my non-confidential documents and such, the one that I want to be easily accessible by say plugging it in via an external adapter

Comment

Working...
                X