Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about development software for Linus ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about development software for Linus ...

I have Kubuntu 18.08 installed and it is awesome in appearance and functionality.

I was wondering what software product is used to create the window type forms for Linux?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by dagmann; Sep 13, 2019, 02:55 PM. Reason: correction

Window type forms?

Comment

It appears to be Kdevelop. But it appears the Kdevelop do not handle C#. Is this true?

Comment

True, because KDE is built using the Qt API ("qute") and C++. KDevelop is the dev tool used by the KDE developers (the last I heard) and old habits die hard.
        A more recent dev tool is Qtcreator, which is in the repository. I used it for personal projects but if you want to help the KDE dev team learn to use the tools they use. BTW, Linux has the world renowned compiler gcc ( aka g++).
        *back to lurking*
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

thanks for the reply
          GreyGeek
          Last edited by dagmann; Sep 25, 2019, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Yes Windows' type forms.
            I know of Kdevelop, Mono Develop and Visual Studio Code.
            But I don't know what the best C# IDE to use for applications.
            I am interested in learning C#.

Comment

C#, probably want to look at monodevelop for a Mono and dotnet development IDE.

Mono was the Evil Demon That Would Ruin Linux At The Hands Of Microsoft, back in the day.

Comment

I have MonoDevelop installed and it runs, however the Gtk# 2.0 is not shown. I tried installing it but still only Gtk shows up. Anyone have any ideas? Am I wasting my time with MD?

Comment

Originally posted by dagmann View Post
                  I have MonoDevelop installed and it runs, however the Gtk# 2.0 is not shown. I tried installing it but still only Gtk shows up. Anyone have any ideas? Am I wasting my time with MD?
                  Dunno, but the monodevelop website shows a few things to look for
                  https://www.mono-project.com/docs/gu...ginners-guide/

You won't likely see these in Discover, so you will want to install something like Synaptic or Muon, else the command line
                  I found this ina quick web search https://askubuntu.com/questions/1045...045161#1045161
                  which should help get you going, as this is specific to 18.04 and is not from 2009 0r 2015

Note that gtk 2 is old, and mostly dead as things have moved to gtk3. No idea how well mono does with that at all
                  Kubuntu does not use gtk things, but of course can run them just fine

As to wasting your time? Wlel, it is your time, and anything you pick up can surely be useful, if it least from a learning experience perspective. I do not think that there is much in terms of new c# software used in Linux these days. Well, Unity3D for game development for sure, but most of the rest are ancient, dead, and or more dead.

https://www.mono-project.com/docs/ab...i-applications

Comment

Why specifically do you want to learn C#?

Comment

Just for giggles. I am retired and bored.

However the more I think about trying to learn something new I just might go with KDevelop and learn some C++.

Comment

Here is a primer on installing and using C# and Mono in Ubuntu. The links are only 3 years old, but that amounts to one computer generation.
                        https://tqdev.com/2016-dot-net-core-ubuntu-linux

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/Upload...ct-introducti/

What's nice about Qt is that it is truly cross platform. You can write an app on any of the three major platforms (WIndows, Linux, Apple) and compile your source on any or all of those platforms. Before I retired I was using SuSE, at the time, to write Qt 4.0 code against PostgreSQL to build and test client-server applications, and then using compiler defines to bring in code specific to Windows and Oracle. I developed in Linux because it was 3-5X faster using a Linux editor, and KDbg to step through the code and ferret out bugs than to do the same on Windows Visual Studio with C++ 6.0.
                        Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 25, 2019, 02:35 PM.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by dagmann View Post
                          Just for giggles. I am retired and bored.

However the more I think about trying to learn something new I just might go with KDevelop and learn some C++.
                          IF you want to use your coding skills to contribute to KDE then that is your best route. IF you just want to learn C++ (for grins and giggles) then I'd still go with QtCreator, which is in the repository. (four apps in total when you search for qtcreator).

This is a link to the Qt Wiki. About 1/3rd down the page, center column, is links to newbi stuff. The most powerful technology, IMO, in Qt is the "Signals & Slots" tech. It blows callbacks out of the water.

Regardless of which tools you decide to use don't forget to install the git version control system and the several GUI tools available for interacting with it. Learning and using git is drop dead easy.
                          Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 25, 2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

If you want to use your coding skills to contribute to KDE please, please contribute to this Click image for larger version

Name:	eheh_doingdoing.gif
Views:	2
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	644321
                            Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Sep 25, 2019, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Well I am most likely older than you. My first computer was in the USAF back in 66. It used drum memory. POS!
                              Anyway I retired eighteen years ago when our company went kaput.
                              I used to know a tiny bit of C++. I did use straight C for a while on Unix computers such as IBM AIX.
                              But mostly a lot of Visual Basic application development.
                              I have twelve years of Unix. Now that I have been using the Termainal, some commands are coming back to me.
                              It took me at least two years when I retired just to do a brain dump.
                              I was waking up as usual in the middle of the night trying to solve problems.
                              So as of now my coding skills are bit stagnant.

Comment

Working...
                              X