Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discover update fails for apt related files - says there is no script in the ....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Discover update fails for apt related files - says there is no script in the ....

This Discover issue is a head scratcher, but I just need something reliable to install programs
    I entered my password for Update all in Disover for 6 files. See attached.
    I get an error message that briefly appears in the lower left and the same files remain
    Message says "Package failed to install. Error while installing package. There is no script in the new version of the package - giving up"
    It does not say which package. All files remain.

It looks like there is no way to install software.
    Attached Files
    Neon 18.04.1 User on desktop and on Asus Transformer 3 Pro laptop

Close out of Discover. Open konsole. Type: sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Does the upgrading report any errors?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Solved

Thanks, Snowhog, but I did the same step others did on the forum.kde.org site as here:
      https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?...scover#p422083

That is I ran
      sudo apt install dpkg-dev

Then went back to Discover and it worked completing the install with no errors
      It seems to be a short term problem

For me it seems to be solved.

Comment

The 'problem' that you experienced is most likely due to the process that Discover uses when upgrading installed packages. Discover uses 'apt upgrade' and not 'apt full-upgrade'. The difference between 'upgrade' and 'full-upgrade' is in how apt handles dependencies.

From apt manpage:

upgrade (apt-get(8))
        upgrade is used to install available upgrades of all packages currently installed on
        the system from the sources configured via sources.list(5). New packages will be
        installed if required to satisfy dependencies, but existing packages will never be
        removed. If an upgrade for a package requires the remove of an installed package the
        upgrade for this package isn't performed.

full-upgrade (apt-get(8))
        full-upgrade performs the function of upgrade but will remove currently installed
        packages if this is needed to upgrade the system as a whole.
        For me (and others here in KFN) it's why I don't use Discover to 'maintain' my system. ALL my system maintenance is done from the CLI.

Comment

Thanks.
          What commands do you use in the CLI?
          I have seen previously, I believe, that often apt and apt-get run afoul of some restrictions in the KDE world.

Comment

Run afoul? Nope. Confused by users? Possibly.

From the CLI:

sudo apt update (updates the package caches for the repositories being used)
            sudo apt full-upgrade (to intelligently upgrade installed packages on your system)

Comment

Actually, IMHO, the easiest way is to make an alias for them.

Comment

pwrcul, glad you got it. Who knows what gremlins get in to cause these occasional hang-ups. Fyi, I just did the exact same upgrade you posted in your graphic, in Discover, and it went about as fast as I could type my PW. No issues. This time. Snowhog's advice is Post #2 is one to keep handy, too.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  The 'problem' that you experienced is most likely due to the process that Discover uses when upgrading installed packages. Discover uses 'apt upgrade' and not 'apt full-upgrade'. The difference between 'upgrade' and 'full-upgrade' is in how apt handles dependencies.

From apt manpage:

For me (and others here in KFN) it's why I don't use Discover to 'maintain' my system. ALL my system maintenance is done from the CLI.
                  This is incorrect, at least from my testing before deciding to use it as my main updating method on both Kubuntu and Neon. While I do use apt on Kubuntu sometimes, that is usually because I have ssh'd into it for other purposes. I don't think I have used apt to update my laptop in 2019 tbh.
                  Neon even have an alias for the 'apt-get upgrade' command that gives a big warning instead of running.

The error as shown on the KDE forum is a Neon specific bug in AppimageLauncher's packaging, not due to anything in packagekit(Discover). Using apt, or Muon, or synaptic would give the same error.

This thread probably should be in the Neon section anyway, as this has zero to do with 18.04, as Kubuntu don't ship AppimageLauncher, at least not at the moment, and not in 18.04

Moving it....
                  Last edited by claydoh; Sep 12, 2019, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    Neon even have an alias for the 'apt-get upgrade' command that gives a big warning instead of running.
                    True, that

Code:
                    ~$ sudo apt upgrade
                    On KDE neon you should use `pkcon update` to install updates.
                    If you absolutely must use apt you do have to use dist-upgrade or full-upgrade in place of the upgrade command.
                    https://neon.kde.org/faq#command-to-update
                    Abort.
                    sudo apt-get upgrade does the same.
                    I just never tried it.

But then, my alias doesn't use that - and it works very well for me - so I guess it's OK, right?

[EDIT] I tried pkcon update. I like sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade better. :·)
                    Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Sep 12, 2019, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I got that "AppimageLauncher" a day or 2 ago , and an update to it today , never got an error ?

but I did already have "dpkg-dev" ,,,,,,so

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                        I got that "AppimageLauncher" a day or 2 ago , and an update to it today , never got an error ?

but I did already have "dpkg-dev" ,,,,,,so

VINNY

I did not get an error either, as I have the package as well, but it was pulled in from something else, so anyone using Virtualbox (dkms), have installed build-essential, or have Nvidia drivers (dkms, again) among other things would already have it. I have the first two.
                        Last edited by claydoh; Sep 12, 2019, 04:28 PM.

Comment

I did not get an error either, as I have the package as well, but it was pulled in from something else, so anyone using Virtualbox, have installed build-essential, or have Nvidia drivers (dkms) among other things would already have it. I have the first two.
                          I have all 3 .

it seams to be a nice addition to our tool set , it gives right click context menu item to dolphin (but it is first choice for appimage so a click launches it ) on clicking an appimage a window opens to give you a choice to "run once" or intigrate into your system with a launcher and moving the appimage to ~/ Applications .

nice

VINNY

EDIT: Oops Virtualbox is on a different install , this one uses "virt-manager"
                          Last edited by vinnywright; Sep 12, 2019, 04:35 PM.
                          16GB RAM

Comment

And it is already reported
                            https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=411821
                            AppimageLauncher is a cool project, btw, that adds interesting features specifically for simple management of appimages, right from the item's menu entry.

Comment

And it is already reported
                              https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=411821
                              AppimageLauncher is a cool project, btw, that adds interesting features specifically for simple management of appimages, right from the item's menu entry.
                              +1 , Agreed

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                              X