X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving files between desktop Kubuntu and Android

Hi,

I have Kubuntu 18.04 LTE installed on my laptop and a Samsung S7 Android phone. I don't have a router--instead I get my internet through an Ethernet cable, which has not been a problem for me until now.

I used to have little difficulty transfer files via USB cable between my phone and my laptop. At the time I had Ubuntu Studio. I have had much more difficulty with Kubuntu, however. I don't know to what extent the issue is with Kubuntu or an Android update (I have Android version 8.0.0). The laptop fails to see the files on Android.

I've tried connecting through KDE Connect via Bluetooth, but that has not worked. The Android might see the laptop, but again, the laptop doesn't recognize the Android, and pairing has been unsuccessful.

What I'm usually transferring is music folders, which are too big to send by via zip. I've tried using MEGA, but that jacks up my phone bill.

What are my best options for file transfer?

For the moment, an sd card and a USB adapter for it would be the easiest.

I suggest trying other cables, as an old or slightly damaged/worn cable is a fairly common cause, as is the port on the phone (dirt or fuzz). Also try different USB port on the computer, just in case.
    Make sure you are connecting in MTP mode, and maybe try browsing to the phone from dolphin instead of using the Systray widget - I vaguely recall having issues with that in 18.04, but with a really old phone, and I could be mistaken.

Comment

Also, this may be relevant:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...ed/td-p/372688

The steps may be worth trying.

Comment

I've tried the steps. Mixed success. I am able to make an MTP connection now, but it's still somewhat unstable. Nevertheless, I was able to copy a number of music files onto the Android. It's sort of back to the semi-stable norm I enjoyed until recently.

Comment

Does your laptop have an SD card slot? If so, you can remove the Micro SD from the phone, put it in and adapter and plug it into the machine. Both my Lenovo machines have SD card slots.
          Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
            Does your laptop have an SD card slot? If so, you can remove the Micro SD from the phone, put it in and adapter and plug it into the machine. Both my Lenovo machines have SD card slots.
            If not, USB SD card readers can be very cheap. F.ex., Amazon has one for 7 USD; my local store has one for NZD 7.50.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
            X