This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] weird error when copying from an audio CD to a local drive

i've noticed that, unlike windoes't, or mac, linux DOESN'T restrict how you view mounted audio CDs: instead of automatically loading them into your default music player, linux actually allows you to look at the disk as though it were a data CD. an example is shown in the screen shot labeled 190906.01-dolphin.png

i'm trying to copy files from the FLAC directory, and i'm getting a weird error when i try to copy one particular file, as can be seen in the screen shot labeled 190906.02-dolphin.png

i suspect that is because there are some "unsavoury" characters in the file name. particularly the colon - : - appears to cause problems.

normally (when copying files from one computer to another), i just change the file name to avoid the use of reserved characters, but, as this is an audio CD, i can't change the file name.

how do i copy this file? i'm sure it's possible...
    Attached Files
    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant
    http://www.hybridelephant.com/
    ⇓ The world's finest exotic incense

It may be the length of the file name, or how many layers deep the file structure is (not likely in your case), depending on what the Samba shared drive is formatted. it very likely is not the colon.
    What format is the smb share formatted to?

The way that this works in Dolphin, is that it displays these formats, and then when you copy anything other then the .wav files, it converts them first in a cache somewhere. I wonder if something in this process either doesn't jibe with the shared drive. Does the same thing happen with ogg?

You might try stretching or maximizing the error message box to see if there is any more info that is not shown, so it is hard to know what it does not like.
    I suggest for the moment copying the file to a local drive first, and try copying it after it has been converted to flac.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      It may be the length of the file name, or how many layers deep the file structure is (not likely in your case), depending on what the Samba shared drive is formatted. it very likely is not the colon.
      this is a bit strange, because when i have been copying things from one computer to another, i get a very similar error, and when i change the colon to a dash (or something like that) i am able to copy it without difficulty.

What format is the smb share formatted to?
      ext4

The way that this works in Dolphin, is that it displays these formats, and then when you copy anything other then the .wav files, it converts them first in a cache somewhere.
      if it does this, it chooses a very complex graphical interface to do it... especially since the .wav files are available at the root-level directory, and FLAC and OGG are one directory in...

I wonder if something in this process either doesn't jibe with the shared drive. Does the same thing happen with ogg?
      exactly the same error regardless of what file format i choose.

also, i can copy the second, third, and fourth files without a problem. it's only the files with the colon in the file name that are giving me the error.

You might try stretching or maximizing the error message box to see if there is any more info that is not shown, so it is hard to know what it does not like.
      the error message is as stretched as it can get. there is no more.

I suggest for the moment copying the file to a local drive first, and try copying it after it has been converted to flac.
      when i copy it to a local drive, regardless of whether i copy FLAC or OGG files, i don't get the error.

when i change the file name to something that does not contain a colon, i can copy it from the local drive to the SMB drive without difficulty.

SOMETHING about the SMB drive doesn't like file names with colons...
      ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

The remote shared drive is ext4?
        I think Windows formatted drives (ntfs and maybe fat) do not allow colons, but Linux ones should. It can be done by 'escaping' it
        As shown here

https://superuser.com/questions/1477...open-rename-or

What you see in dolphin is just a display of the actual wav files. The folders with other formats are not 'real' . The flac files do not physically exist until they are dragged or copied somewhere. This triggers the conversion process and the New file is then physically .

There should be a section in system settings for Audio CDs in the multimedia section. If not, install the package called kio-audiocd using apt. Restart system settings and you should see it.

There is a section for naming including a place for replacing characters which you can use to remove or replace the offending colon

I had forgotten about the configuration settings available. Would have solved your problem quickly. The settings tool is not installed by default everywhere.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

I imagine that because SMB originally comes (mostly) from the DOS world, and became a mostly Microsoft thing, that the characters MS systems don't allow won't work with SMB. These at least are " \ / : | < > * ?, though I can't imagine null bytes being good.

For most Unix and Linux file systems, the only illegal characters are the ASCII slash and the null byte.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
            became a mostly Microsoft thing, that the characters MS systems don't allow won't work with SMB. These at least are " \ / : | < > * ?
            that would explain a lot.

Rule of thumb -- Every time Microsoft uses the word "smart," be on the lookout for something dumb.
            -- John Walker
            ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

Working...
            X