Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I set up an Electronics section in K/gear Application launcher ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I set up an Electronics section in K/gear Application launcher ?

Hi,

I've installed Kubuntu 19.04 and it's working well, mostly. Post-install I used the Discover package manager to install a few programs for electronics (Fritzing, Arduino, etc). All of these programs have been installed in the Applications/Development section of the (K/gear) application launcher. However, I would rather these electronics programs were installed in an Electronics section within Applications.

Is there any way that I can manually add an Electronics section to the Applications section of the (K/gear) application launcher ? If so, how do I do that ?

How do I then move entries from the Applications/Development section to the new Applications/Electronics section ?

Best regards,

Stuart

rite click the launcher , click "Edit Applications" , you should be able to figure it out from their.

if not post back with the questions.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Good morning Vinny,

Thank you for your reply. Using your help I was able to set up the Electronics menu in the K/gear launcher and also drag and drop entries from the Applications/Development menu to the new Applications/Electronics menu.

My only nitpick now is that I've had to select an icon (applications/engineering, a window containing a pair of draughting compasses) which doesn't really reflect the (electronics) nature of the software in the new menu.

Whilst in the menu editor, I did scout around to see if there was a more suitable icon but alas there wasn't. Is it possible to download new menu icons ? If so, how do I do that ?

Thanks again for your spot-on help. It is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Stuart

Comment

You should be able to find some on opendsektop.
        Some nice ones are on deviantart.
        The nitrux pack looks quite good,

Comment

Or use any graphic design application and create your own. I prefer to use SVGs so Inkscape is my first choice on that, but even a raster program will work, just have to keep in mind how big you want everything to be especially if you start to use custom icons for individual programs and not just for categories.

It can be quite addicting when adding in custom icons.
          Last edited by WWDERW; Sep 07, 2019, 07:17 AM.
          Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

Working...
          X