Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've lost sound

Hi,

I had sound working on my laptop yesterday but today it appears to have stopped working! There was an update earlier but I can't remember what that included.

I have gone into system settings > hardware > multimedia but I can't see anything which would indicate the sound should be off! Any thoughts?

Thanks

That happened to me a couple of times, and reinstalling pulseaudio fixed it.
    It might do that for you too. Except:
    Last time I advised someone to do that, uninstalling pulseaudio also uninstalled some crucial stuff on his system. Which it didn't do on mine (I would have noticed ;·)

So, I don't know, maybe the code in the last post works, or maybe it's better with muon - or even Discover.

Comment

Code:
      pactl list sources
      if this returns a lot of output indicating sources for sound capture and playback then it's just something silly , like your outputting to the wrong source or muted or the like .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Here it returns a lot of stuff (like two screenfuls) and the sound works fine...

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
          That happened to me a couple of times, and reinstalling pulseaudio fixed it.
          It might do that for you too. Except:
          Last time I advised someone to do that, uninstalling pulseaudio also uninstalled some crucial stuff on his system. Which it didn't do on mine (I would have noticed ;·)

So, I don't know, maybe the code in the last post works, or maybe it's better with muon - or even Discover.
          Thank you, I will uninstall and reinstall using Discover when I get home in about an hour and hope that works!

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          Code:
          pactl list sources
          if this returns a lot of output indicating sources for sound capture and playback then it's just something silly , like your outputting to the wrong source or muted or the like .

VINNY
          Unfortunately it definitely isn't this...I've checked and checked and the audio is turned up to full as well as within the 3 different programmes I have tried with audio.

I will report back by 8pm!

Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by CanyonRoss View Post

Unfortunately it definitely isn't this...I've checked and checked and the audio is turned up to full as well as within the 3 different programmes I have tried with audio.

I will report back by 8pm!

Thanks again for your help!
            with 1 of the programs playing audio , click the speaker icon in the system tray , click the "applications" tab , click and drag the application , as soon as you start to drag it you will switch back to the "devices" tab , drop the application on the output you want .

did this get you your sound back ?

you can also install "pavucontrol" (Pulse Audio Volume Control)
            Code:
            sudo apt install pavucontrol
            it gives a slightly easier to understand control GUI for the sound server .

after installing you will find it in the Multimedia section of your application menu.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Well, I've started the system... And the sound works! 8t seems rebooting it has solved it! Weird.

I had already tried the "applications" bit and the sound was already right up so it wasn't that.

I shall keep an eye on it (or rather an ear...) and hopefully it continues to work!

Thanks once again.

Comment

One needs to pay attention to what the system/upgrade process informs you of. Often, you will be told that a reboot is necessary to complete the update process, and if you ignore that message, things 'unexpected' are bound to happen.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                X