This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading my server

i have a server that i use as a file server and a mysql server, long story short ill be installing kubuntu over the weekend and im not sure on one thing.

i sometimes log in via gui to do a few bits and bobs but i would like to have another option on the grub boot menu to boot into multi user mode cli or run level 3.

and another entry on the grub boot menu for booting into kde.

how do i go about this?.

also how do i go about installing the latest mysql version ?

any help you can give me is most appreciated
    Tutorials:
    Yoda's ownCloud Installation on Kubuntu 20.04

(If you you have two questions, it's usually best to make two posts. For a first time poster, there's a delay while the mods decide you're not a spammer, don't let that discourage you from asking.)
    Originally posted by hightokeinyoda View Post
    i sometimes log in via gui to do a few bits and bobs but i would like to have another option on the grub boot menu to boot into multi user mode cli or run level 3.

and another entry on the grub boot menu for booting into kde.
    Cool question, I hadn't thought of doing that. The easiest way is to let the graphical boot happen, but don't log in, just press Ctrl-Alt-F2.

But if you don't like that, removing "quiet splash" from the linux line and adding "3" in grub works for me. I suspect you're happy hacking grub, but to spell it out, one way would be to copy the menu entry lines for Kubuntu from /boot/grub/grub.cfg into /etc/grub.d/40_custom, remove the quiet splash and add the 3. That'll point at a specific kernel version, so you'd want to change the kernel and initrd to use the symbolic links. So change
    Code:
    linux	/boot/vmlinuz-5.0.0-25-generic root=UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx ro quiet splash
    initrd	/boot/initrd.img-5.0.0-25-generic
    to
    Code:
    linux	/vmlinuz root=UUID=xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx ro 3
    initrd	/initrd.img
    Note that your system might have other stuff on those lines, leave it alone; just remove the quiet splash, add the 3, and change the vimlinuz and initrd specs. Note that the "/boot" on those specs is removed.

Then, run sudo update-grub.

A more proper systemd way to do it is to use "systemd.unit=multi-user.target" instead of "3". The word "text" once worked and it doesn't now, for me, so I imagine one day a bald "3" will stop working too.
    Last edited by jlittle; Aug 29, 2019, 05:17 PM. Reason: missing "don't"
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by hightokeinyoda View Post
      also how do i go about installing the latest mysql version ?
      There's some issues here. The version of MySQL in Kubuntu is 5.7, but MySQL 8.0 is released.

If you have data in MySQL databases, you'd want to know what version those databases are, and if they're 5.7 and you want to use 8.0, you'll want to learn about how to do that.

If the 5.7 version in the Ubuntu repositories is good for you, just use your favourite package manager, say muon or synaptic, to install mysql-server and mysql-client.

But if not, I suggest using the repository at https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/repo/apt/, and having a good read of their guide to its use.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

You didn't say what version of Kubuntu you're installing but I found this PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~lars-tangvald...untu/mysql-8.0

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X