Built in speakers - quality and sound volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Built in speakers - quality and sound volume

I have a an MSI Leopard laptop. I recall when I first tried Ubuntu from a USB drive the speakers worked fine.

I didn't try them properly, just noticed they were OK.

Later I unstalled Plasma Neon. Shortly after I realised that my old problem is back - sound works only via the headphones / external speakers.

I googled the problem and it seems quite common. Alsamixer is often suggesed as a "solution" but I found one page that went into more detail:

Summary of the solution for anybody else looking for it:
    Install Alsamixer and run it.
    Now start some music playing in the background.
    Then enable all the outputs, one by one, and set their volume up high.

The moment I unmuted ALL of them and pushed the volumne of Headphones up, the built-in speakers started working again! After exit out of the program, if I go back in, the"Mute" setting seems to beignore on the Headphone output, but the volume still affects the sound.

Question nr 1: Why does the Headphone setting volume affect the built-in speaker but the Mute setting on the same output does not?
    Question nr 2: Why can't the GUI take care of this?
    Question nr 3: Sound via the built-in speakers still seems fairly low.
    Question nr 4: System sounds sounds terribly - quality-wise. Why might this be? Sound played through other apps is ok.

For What it's worth, the Alsamixer output named "Speaker" seemingly does not affect the built-in speakers.

Ah actually scratch nr 3. Using PavuMixer I put everything up to 100% and now the volume is good.
Working...
X